My mum diagnosed yesterday

• 15 replies
  • 146 subscribers

Hi everyone , just wanted some advice really, 

my mum was diagnosed yesterday with lung cancer the consultant on the phone said it was inoperable , as it has gone to her adrenal gland the first thing my mum said am I going to die is it terminal , the consultant sounded very positive he said no it is not terminal and very much treatable , and said they were stil waiting on biopsies to come bk, and an oncologist will see her maybe next week if biopsies are bk,  he did say to my mum it is the most common lung cancer she has ,, this is all I know ..  but I was just wondering if anyone else had this and what they experienced and what treatment they had , 

my mum

is 66 for and healthy no symptoms, but the last few weeks have been hell waiting for all These results , and now another wait for oncologist,  my poor mum that’s ok I keep thinking. Looks like she has aged 20 years. ;(

thank you for listening x

• Thank you so much for replying . That’s really promising . Take good care x

• Hi Karen,

thank you so much for all the info, 

I am glad you are feeling better with your shoulder pain. 
    You would easily of thought those symptoms were carpal tunnel , so glad your doctor got you a scan when they did, 

If being in no pain and only haveing a number hand , I would defo take that, x 

my mum has shoulder pain and the doctor prescribed her anti inflammatory tablets , and then I noticed my mum had lost about a stone in weight, but she thought it was where she has stopped eating junk in the evening , 

And a blood test showing elevated white blood cells , brang us to where we are now , 

xxx

thank u for alL your info on the treatment , I just wanted to kno what type of thing to expect for my mum and I do understand everyone is different ,  x 

x xx have a nice afternoon xx 

I work on the railway hence the name train spotter Steam locomotive x. 

• Hi Train spotter,

My Mum was diagnosed with adenocarcinoma of the lung with brain metastases in February this year. We were All completely floored by this, as she had No lung cancer symptoms at all! 

One of The Best pieces of advice we were given right at the beginning was, before Any appointments with Oncology (but Especially the 1st) sit down as a family & make a list of Any questions you can think of that you want to ask. Take the list with you to the appointment (&a pen!) & work your way down the list, ticking off each question as you ask it. If you don't completely understand the answer to a question, ask them to explain further. And Don't worry if it seems like you're asking the same question more than once. I Promise you, the Oncology consultants & the Macmillan team are all So helpful & patient, they Really won't mind. They would rather you ask & ask again, than you go away with a a head full of information you don't understand!

Unfortunately, the cancer journey with a loved one is Not an easy one. But it can be made a little easier with help/advice & support from others going through the same process. 

I wish you & your Mum all the best. And anytime you need advice, or just somewhere to sound off, post on here,as there is Always someone, somewhere, feeling the same xxxxx

• Hiya Elliezc

im so sorry to hear you are coming through this aswell, 

how is your mum Doing?

ive started writing a list,  but I think it’s a telephone appointment which I feel is really bad , as on the phone I just don’t kno I don’t think it’s right, 

xxx this is so scary and awful for anyone on this journey, I just wish and pray there was cures and treatments that will actually work for lung cancer patients , as it seems this cancer is a beast Cry xxxx

thank you for taking the time to reply and I really appreciate your advice 

xx wishing u all the best to you and your family xxxxx 

• Hi Train spotter,

The first appointment we had was a phone call too,& we had the phone on loudspeaker so myself & my stepdad could hear everything, & my Mum (who Hates phones & technology, even though she is only 62!!) said Very loudly "well what's the f*****g point in a phone call, how can they tell How I'm doing down the phone?!" To which the consultant replied "I Totally agree with you, would you prefer your appointments with us to be face2face?" Please ask your Mum if she would prefer to have a face2face appointment, & if she would, either ask her Gp to contact the oncologists secretary, or ring Oncology yourself. Everyone in this horrible situation should be given these choices. I don't believe Anyone should have to make life changing decisions from a phone call!!! 

Xxxxx