Now that my treatment is finished

• 14 replies
  • 152 subscribers

This is my first proper post in this group, I’ve copied this from from my profile to introduce myself and say hi to everyone.

I was diagnosed last May with Stage 2B non small cell lung cancer  (Adenocarcinoma). I had a lobectomy in June followed by adjuvant chemo, which I had from Aug to Nov. I have been given the all clear and although I am better physically than I was, I have still have fatigue, neuropathy kicking in again, a cough and joints that need oiling lol!.  I find emotions are harder to deal with tho and  it’s like I’m permanently trying to keep balance on a wobbly fence, it’s exhausting!  

My dad, brother and one of my sisters died from lung cancer,  I was lucky, I was diagnosed early and I am grateful for this but now... guilt sneaks in because I’m still here and they’re not. I know this will pass, eventually, plus I  have another sister who often reminds me that she still lives n breathes (she’s a brilliant big sis).  I also find myself in emotional conflict, to the outside world I’m “cured”  but... inside I’m still stuck in cancer mode. 

Lately its become more difficult to talk to my husband and sis about how Im feeling now, I’ve tried to explain but they just don’t get it. It was easier when I was actually being treated, it was a more a physical thing then too.  Anyway, I decided the other day that I needed to speak to people that have been though what I've been through, so I could talk without having to censor what I feel. So here I am..

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

Hi 

I had a lobectomy 3 weeks ago and adenocarcinoma was diagnosed luckily I don't need futher treatment, it's unbelievable as until 12 weeks ago I was living live without a clue about this, I just feel numb and worried about the future ,will it come back ,will it stay away ,even though I'm free of cancer ,I can't seem to feel happy and that makes me feel so guilty when a lot of you are going through hell,although my husband is my rock and best friend he doesn't like to talk about it ,I understand what you going through if that helps. Good luck 

• Hi Carole. That is really good news to hear that you are now cancer free. You have to remember though, that you have been through an awful lot in a very short time. You need to take time to process what has happened. Remember it is ok to not feel ok all the time. 
    It will be good to have you around in the group to help others that are only just starting their journey, so I hope you stick around.

Take care. 

Chelle 

Try to be a rainbow,in somebody else's cloud
    Maya Angelou

Community Champion badge
  • FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to chellesimo

Thankyou for your kind words, you take care Too .

• Hi Carole, It does help, a lot, thank you. I totally understand what you mean, it all happened very quickly for me too. It has been very hard to process all that has happened and sometimes when I feel I processed something and I think its done with, say like the surgery, I then I get a flash back and its like I have to process it all over again, but... I have slowly come to realise recently through reading other peoples posts here, that no matter how "unnormal" I have felt or am feeling there is no such thing as "unnormal" when you have been diagnosed with cancer, its actually very normal, finding that out that has been such a relief for me, so you're not alone in how you're feeling. And like you, I too have mixed emotions about being given the all clear (me surviving where my brother and sister did not). At the moment I have boarded, what my sister calls the WHAT IF TRAIN TO NOWHERE, again, I'm having a CT scan this week and a follow up next week with my oncologist, this is the first one since I was given the all clear, so I have a season tickets worth of what if's right now. I have found that chatting here helps me keep things in perspective, I hope this helps you too. Take Care, Hazel.