Lung resection

• 2 replies
  • 102 subscribers

Hi, been diagnosed with a nodule in each lung, surgeon said the best option is removing them, lung resection but with emphysema and a low fitness score on the bike fitness test he says I wouldn't survive the op and if I did I wouldn't be strong enough to fight any infection post op. 

My worry is I've been following a fitness regime with Macmillan since he spoke to me and I'm terrified he will now assume I'm fit enough for the resection, I'm worried my emphysema makes it impossible to be fitter than I was. Has this issue arisen with anyone else please? 

• Hi,

Sorry you find yourself here. I've got some background emphysema myself, though I do exercise like a demon and sailed through my lobectomy. A few random thoughts from me...

Your surgeon won't assume anything, their tests will say yes/no to any surgery not any preconceived notions.

A fitness regime that gets you out of breath (ie aerobic exercise) for 20 mins or more per session should improve your emphysema. (Don't dive in, build up and stay comfortable with it.)

It's perfectly possible to be fitter than you were regardless of health condition, very well done if you have achieved this it's not easy. The only downside is that it's very much a use-it-or-lose-it deal, you don't get to say "job done" and give it a rest.

I get a bee in my bonnet about folk who try to second guess the consultant or surgeon but here goes anyway: if it's only nodules what's the problem with radiotherapy and/or chemo?

kind regards
    Steve

• Thank you very much for replying. That was my worry, I did badly on the bike/fitness test but the only retest I've had since the surgeon spoke to me is a CT Scan with contrast, I've not been retested on the bike and i see my surgeon tomorrow morning