Dreading the stigma that may come. (bit of a rant)

• 13 replies
  • 105 subscribers

Has anybody had any stigma directed at them for having lung cancer? 

I'm only at the beginning and yet I'm already  getting  the feeling from reading about lung cancer  that there isn't as much sympathy for people with lung cancer as there is for other types.

(Jusr to stress that this place is brilliant and full of compassion,)

I'm talking about attitudes 'out there'.

Even the media and film makers play along with it.

No fluffy pink ribbons and moonlit walks for us. 

No romantic/tragic films such as the Fault in our stars or My sisters keeper.

As far as I'm concerned.cancer is cancer and it's enough having to deal with cancer without people being judgemental on top of it.  I'm sure I'll get asked countless times do/did you smoke? Even my family have started down that line.

I don't get it,.

Lots of cancers have lifestyle factors that can make you pre disposed to getting it.

An example is:

It's been suggested that eating meat, especially cured meat can make you more susceptible  to bowel cancer, but people wouldn't dream of saying to someone with bowel cancer

"Did you eat too many bacon sandwiches?"

And yet lung cancer patients are continually asked about smoking.

I'm sure there are other cancers besides lung cancer that are also stigmatised, for instance  people are made to feel ashamed because they have cancer in an embarrassing part of the body.. That's not right either.

But there's a special kind of judgement reserved for lung cancer patients.

Nobody, no matter what their cancer,  should be made to feel ashamed when theyre basically fighting for their lives.  Nobody.

I would like to see a campaign that would address this issue.

Rant over

Sorry am feeling fragile. Formal diagnosis tomorrow

• Shocking indeed.

Bet they wouldn't say to a person with skin cancer 'too much sunbathing,' or to someone with bowel cancer 'too much processed meat' or someone wirh cervical cancer ' too many sexual partners

But lung cancer -  Its ok to be vocal! I'm glad they're an ex friend!  Who needs people like that in their lives.

• I’m with you Harebelle!!! I feel I have to IMMEDIATELY tell people my husband’s lung cancer is due to him working in an asbestos factory from age 15 till he was 30. I get mad at myself for feeling I have to defend his diagnosis. Like you say no one would question “why” people have bowel, womb or other cancers but lung cancer definitely carries a stigma from day one of diagnosis. 
    Grasan

• Hi 

you rant all you like, I’m in the camp of don’t judge or put a label on it. What I don’t understand is why developing any cancer has to be attributed to anything. Having cancer is enough to deal with, without trying to reason out why I’ve got it.

have a good day

Donna