Dreading the stigma that may come. (bit of a rant)

• 13 replies
  • 108 subscribers

Has anybody had any stigma directed at them for having lung cancer? 

I'm only at the beginning and yet I'm already  getting  the feeling from reading about lung cancer  that there isn't as much sympathy for people with lung cancer as there is for other types.

(Jusr to stress that this place is brilliant and full of compassion,)

I'm talking about attitudes 'out there'.

Even the media and film makers play along with it.

No fluffy pink ribbons and moonlit walks for us. 

No romantic/tragic films such as the Fault in our stars or My sisters keeper.

As far as I'm concerned.cancer is cancer and it's enough having to deal with cancer without people being judgemental on top of it.  I'm sure I'll get asked countless times do/did you smoke? Even my family have started down that line.

I don't get it,.

Lots of cancers have lifestyle factors that can make you pre disposed to getting it.

An example is:

It's been suggested that eating meat, especially cured meat can make you more susceptible  to bowel cancer, but people wouldn't dream of saying to someone with bowel cancer

"Did you eat too many bacon sandwiches?"

And yet lung cancer patients are continually asked about smoking.

I'm sure there are other cancers besides lung cancer that are also stigmatised, for instance  people are made to feel ashamed because they have cancer in an embarrassing part of the body.. That's not right either.

But there's a special kind of judgement reserved for lung cancer patients.

Nobody, no matter what their cancer,  should be made to feel ashamed when theyre basically fighting for their lives.  Nobody.

I would like to see a campaign that would address this issue.

Rant over

Sorry am feeling fragile. Formal diagnosis tomorrow

• Hi

I am sorry you find yourself here. Sadly, I lost my Dad to Lung Cancer in February, he had Small Cell Lung Cancer. We were never informed what the “cause” of the cancer was, he was a smoker but in general an all round fit person, played a lot of golf, did lots of DIY, he wasn’t unfit. I personally wish there was screening for Lung Cancer, but there isn’t. 

I know we all know the risks that come with lifestyle choices but I never once judged my Dad throughout his illness, he was tortured enough and even if smoking was the cause, why should he be made to feel he did wrong and like you say, be made to feel ashamed. I am SO proud of my Dad, always have been and I always will, he fought so hard throughout his diagnosis and everyday I wish he was still here and I miss him immensely. 

I wish you the very best, forget the judgement, ignore the ignorance, you have a lot more important things to deal with right now.

Keep us posted on your progress and look after yourself.

Lucie x 

• Thank you Lucy for your  kind words.

Your dad sounds as if he was a lovely man who is greatly missed.

X

• Sorry, Lucie,  not Lucy x

• Thank you and he was the best. Wishing you all the luck in the world x 

• Hi Harebellle

I was diagnosed with SCLC 4 years after giving up smoking. I knew the SCLC was down to the years of smoking, which was purely my choice as I knew the risks.  Not once has anyone berated or judged me regarding my previous smoking habit; I received only support and best wishes..  I think most people (myself included) ask about smoking as it is the most common reason for lung cancer.  For non-smokers I think it provides some sort  comfort i.e a cancer they  think they can cross off their future cancer worry list.

We in the Lung Cancer community have yet to get our act together and follow the examples of the Breast Cancer and latterly the prostrate and testicular cancer communities.  The drive of these communities has made sure that these types of cancer are front and centre in terms of media coverage and national fund raising activities.  Bowel Cancer is now becoming very prominent across the media, thanks in no small way to Deborah James and her bowel cancer podcasts..

If you want a campaign,, then someone has to start it.  Who better than someone just at the start of their Lung Cancer journey..  Had podcasts/blogs be more prominent when I was diagnosed, I may have considered starting one; too late now as 11 years on I have forgotten the little details/emotions that make podcasts interesting in order to grow a substantial following.

No need on here to apologise for feeling fragile; we have all been there!

Good luck with the diagnosis appointment.

Kegsy x

"If you are going through hell, keep going" ; Sir Winston Churchill
    " Cancer may take my life; however it will not become my life" Kegsy August 2011
  • Yes we need a Deborah James for Lung Cancer. Sadly that's not me. I'm more of a behind the scenes person.

There was a lady who was interviewed on youmeandthebigc podcast who spoke out about lung cancer. She was good. I keep trying  to find her blogs but no luck.

(can't even find the blogs never mind write them)

The main problem as I see it with lung cancer and it's image is that the Dept. Of health has used us as an 'example' as to why people should give up smoking .

That's all very well, but in their efforts to get people to quit, they've thrown us under the bus in the process.

You mention lung cancer to anyone and they don't think pink ribbons and other pink sparkly tat, they automatically think of the disgusting dirty pictures on the posters and cigarette  packets.

That's the mental  image most people have of us.

So I like to do my bit by making sure I always look good.   I wear clothes in fresh colours, good haircut. Everything light and bright. Makeup on etc. Keep myself fit and in good shape.

I like to think it challenges the general public's perception of how a lung cancer patient should look.

So I make sure I look the compelete opposite. 

I can see it confuses and hopefully pissess them off as well. 

Its not a lot, but it's something. 

And doing something is always better than doing nothing.

• Hi Harebellle

As an ex -smoker who has undergone smoking related lung cancer treatment, I am more than happy for the Dept of Health to promote the negative aspects of smoking.  Most GPs and hospitals also promote and provide smoking cessation therapies.  

A lot of cancer cannot easily be prevented; smoking related cancers/diseases could be drastically reduced or even eliminated by reducing the number of people who smoke.  The only down side to reducing smoking is the loss  of tax revenue  for the NHS  that is generated from the tax on cigarettes.

You do seem to have a massive downer on the Breast Cancer campaigns, which I find very sad. I am sure that everyone diagnosed with breast cancer goes through the same emotional turmoil and worry as those diagnosed with lung cancer.

If keeping yourself well presented makes you feel better, then all credit to you. However do not think for one minute that doing so "pisses them off as well"; they are more likely to admire your positive attitude to the cancer without even associating the cancer to smoking.

Kegsy x

"If you are going through hell, keep going" ; Sir Winston Churchill
    " Cancer may take my life; however it will not become my life" Kegsy August 2011
  • Hmm

Maybe I do get a bit down at the excess attention that breast cancer receives, even though there are in the region of 200 other cancers out there that get nowhere near the same amount of funding and attention.

Of course that is in no way, shape or form the fault of people with breast cancer and I have never said that 

My friend has brreast cancer and she dreads this time of year when everything goes 'pink' 

I don't think im on my own feeling this. Perhaps I'm a bit more vocal. Maybe that's a mistake.

As im always quick to point out, ALL cancer is horrible.

X

• Harebelle, this is a safe place, and is healthy to have discussions. I don’t think everyone will think disgusting dirty pictures if you told them you have lung cancer. I am sorry if this has happened to you, but it hasn’t me. Smoking didn’t cause my lung sarcoma, and I would hate to think of people thinking of me as dirty because of a disease I have.  

I think with all types of cancer, when a celebrity dies it brings awareness to that disease. Helen McCrory. One of the most beautiful and talented actresses to die to lung cancer, and everyone was talking about it. How dignified she was. How she was working right up to the end. How empowering. 

Lung cancer awareness month is November, We might not have a pink ribbon, but we do have a white one. There have been lots of campaigns about lung cancer, if you have a cough for more than 3 weeks adverts etc. 

My mum had breast cancer and was a participant back in the day (30 years ago) to go on a medical trial. The trial was for tamoxifen. Something that is very commonly used in breast cancer treatments these days. It is also used in the fight against endometrial sarcoma, which is my cancer, so I have my mum and all of the the other breast cancer ladies that took part in that trial to thank for me still being here today. Cancer treatments over lap. Whether the funding is for breast cancer research or lung cancer research, it could help anyone with cancer, and that surly has to be a good thing? 

Chelle 

Try to be a rainbow,in somebody else's cloud
    Maya Angelou

Community Champion badge
  • Yes we did in the beginning non small cell.... My husband is stage 4 palliative.... He had not smoked for years but one... Sposed friend said"what do expect after smoking all those years ago..... Grwwwww (no longer a friend but foe and avoided)