SCLC: 7 years post treatment

• 43 replies
  • 103 subscribers

Hi

Several weeks ago I had my regular 6 monthly check up at The Christie and there is still no sign of the SCLC returning. As I have always said in these half yearly updates, that I have got this far post diagnosis has had very little to do with me but everything to do with the care, expertise and dedication of the medical professionals including initially  my GP and local hospital, and subsequently to date the ever wonderful The Christie hospital.

Those of us who have undertaken this journey and/or who have recently been diagnosed will have probably started with that one question in their minds; "How the hell am I going to get through this?". Unfortunately there is no standard answer as we all need to find a way to deal with it in our own way and on our own terms.  My personal attitude/approach was (and still is);

• I am a great believer that my health is my responsibility, so therefore I felt it was also my responsibility to understand everything about the SCLC and the treatment plan. My most used words to the medical professionals during the diagnosis and treatment processes were "What, Where, When, Why and How". I am by nature a need to know kind of gal! 
  • Even though  my consultants provided me with full details of the treatment plan and possible side effects, I did Google everything which helped me to gain a broader understanding of what was direct cancer treatment and what was 'wellbeing' treatment (steroids etc).  I believe that by sticking to the reputable and regularly updated sites such as Cancer Research UK etc, it is easy to sort the wheat from the chaff, and there is a lot a chaff out there!
  • A combination of pragmatism and bloody minded stubbornness; I quickly learned which aspects of the treatment I could  control/negotiate and those where I just had to go with the flow.

The above approach will not be for everyone; as I said earlier this was/is my personal attitude/approach.

The main purpose of my 6 monthly updates is to provide a ray of hope for those recently diagnosed with SCLC and to show that it is no longer the automatic death sentence it once was.

Kegsy x

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to FormerMember

My pleasure I am lucky the way I am wired if I can support and help anyone else traveling the same road as me then reach out hold my hand and together we will beat the beast!

• FormerMember

Tell him, do not let the beast win, look at me with clear sparkling eyes, show no pity nor pain, look at me with love from your soul: tell him this and his smile will return

GS XXX

• FormerMember

Hi Gs38 

feeling in much better spirits today and have been for lovely drive in sunshine with my other half. Had a coffee and just chatted nothings. Than you so much for your support yesterday. Xxx

uglow 

• FormerMember

So pleased for you: for myself had a meeting  today with my anesthetist they have finally promised to find a place for me in theatre next wk

Onwards and upwards have proved to them that dispite my lung damage they have to do this lobectomy and I can beat this

So my news is great You keep pushing forward stay in touch keep positive

Xxx Gs

• FormerMember

Hi I had a lobectomy, found that part easy to get through hardly any pain to speak of and medications was great. Wound healed quickly. I took arnica before operation. You will be fine. Sending healing wishes to you. 

Xxxx

• FormerMember

Thank you Wednesday now confirmed doctors are concerned about the level of fibrosis I have as well as the cancer

I am not concerned I have total belief in my own ability to promote and drive forward my healing process and come through this: I have friends, loved ones and people like yourself who I know will be standing alongside me metaphorically holding my hand as I walk through the valley of the shadow of death back into the light of life and I promise I will support and hold the hands of everyone that asks for or needs my help

Bless you

• FormerMember

Thank you so much and I will be with on Wednesday xxxxx

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

Hi Kegsy, thankyou so much for sharing your wonderful news. I have SCLC. When I was first diagnosed I was scared (Still am) but doing better then I was. I was diagnosed September 2018 . I have since had 5/6 sessions of chem, my 6th is on Friday the 22nd Feb. So far its responded well.. I then will need some radio therapy, I think to my brain and chest.  Saw my oncol yesterday, he is pleased at my progress but did say if mine as gone to sleep then they cant guarantee the time it will wake up :'( . I am 51 and healthy normally.  Seeing your post as given me hope. I have young grandchildren that I want to see grow up.. I dont want them asking that question "Where's nana Marie?"  I sre hope I can follow in your footsteps. Hugs Marie xxx

• Hi Marie

I was 53 when I was diagnosed and, like you, had no other health issues (which is always a bonus).

Yes it is highly likely that you will first have radiotherapy to the lungs, which will then be followed up approx. 6 wks later with radiotherapy to the brain.  Don't worry the radiotherapy treatment is painless but can make you tired. The brain radiotherapy is a precaution as chemo isn't as good at getting around the brain as it is for the rest of your body. As for your SCC 'waking up', I could happily punch your Oncologist! Please do not assume that will be the case; think positive!

I am glad that my post has given you hope, as this is the very reason I do my 6 mthly update posts for others with SCLC.

I will keep looking over my shoulder to make sure you are following me, and I wish you the best possible outcomes.

Kegsy x

"If you are going through hell, keep going" ; Sir Winston Churchill
    " Cancer may take my life; however it will not become my life" Kegsy August 2011
  • FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to Kegsy

Hi Kegsy,  hope you do not mind me jumping in and asking a few questions.  I had 3 tumours and part of the right lung removed last June and I was diagnosed as having SCLC.  I was not fit enough after the op to have any tratment and my last ct scan in December showe'd the right lung clear but at least 3 new lumps in the left lung the biggest being 5mm. I read from other sufferers about having radiotherapy to the Lung and brain as like an insurance policy and wonder why I am having nothing.  I am pretty fit now and walk at least 2 miles everyday. My weight is steady so cannot think why I am just going through the motions. I have a CT scan booked for the 5th March  and a follow up appointment for the 3rd April. I have been messaging Gina who has been brilliant but as she admits her cancer was NSCLC. Gina did suggest I ring the experts and I may do that after your response. Again apologies for jumping in. 

Mick