Mum has been told she has T4 lung cancer and it has spread to her kidney.

• 4 replies
  • 68 subscribers

Hi everyone, I'm hoping you can help me. My mum is 57, she was had a chest xray in February and they found a shadow on her lung, this was confirmed as probable lung cancer with a CT Scan. We were told that the mass was 5cm big and deep in her lung, she then had a biopsy, Pet CT scan etc to confirm their thoughts. My mum had a consultant appointment yesterday and was told definitely lung cancer and it was classed as T4, it has also spread to her kidney. 

She has her first Oncology appointment on Tuesday which I'm attending with her but in the meantime I am going out of my mind with worry. She has been very vague and says not to dwell on it as they said at the consultant appointment that she would have an intensive course of chemotherapy and they were going to try gene therapy which is apparently a fairly new treatment. 

I'm all for being positive but I've done the dreaded Google search and the outlook is pretty bleak.

Do people recover from lung cancer that has spread already? 

Has anyone ever heard of gene therapy? 

Is she going to die? 

Sorry in advance for being eccentric but I am terrified.

• Hi legend1984 welcome to the group, but sorry to hear about your mum. It is the most terrifying feeling when a loved one is told they have cancer, and the wait for a treatment plan seems never ending.  It is only natural to head to the internet and start searching for the answers, but this is not a good idea. The internet is full of very old information, lung cancer treatment is changing all the time and lung cancer is not the death sentence it used to be. Please do not google any more, you will just upset yourself with outdated facts. 

Where there is treatment, there is hope. And it sounds like your mum has a couple of treatment options already. I know you are looking for a cure for your mum, the only people that will be able to answer this is your mums oncology team. But the thing to remember is there are lots of people who are living with cancer. Incurable does not mean it is not treatable, and there are many of us living on long term treatment years after diagnoses. 

The gene therapy sounds interesting. When you have more details of that I would be interested to hear about it.

Good luck for Tuesday. Take a pen and paper with you to write down the names of chemo and plan etc because your mind will go blank after the meeting. Let us know how she gets on x 

Chelle 

Try to be a rainbow,in somebody else's cloud
    Maya Angelou

Community Champion badge
  • Thank you so much for getting back to me. I'm really hoping that they will put a treatment plan in place and that they will be able to answer some of my questions on Tuesday. 

• Hope everything went ok is there any update for your mum? Take care 

• Hi Sharkey,

Where do I start??!!!

Mum has had 2 lots of immunotherapy so far, she is overdue a 3rd round but her red blood cells are too low. She has had to have multiple blood transfusions due to this in the last 4 months.

They have held off on Chemotherapy for now as she is not strong enough to cope with both.

In May she had jaundice and it was caused by a small tumour blocking her bile duct, they ooperated to fit a stent  and the jaundice has gone for now but her Bloods continue to be troublesome.  Whilst treating the bile duct they also spoke of her pancreatic tumour that they think is causing  pain by pressing on nerves. They suspect she may have stomach ulcers caused by taking ibuprofen so she has been taking omeprazole to combat this for the last couple of weeks and Bloods are still only 78.

She doesn't eat much, an average day would be 1 weetabix, a handful of cherries and half a sandwich.  She has lost so much weight that her skin looks draped over her bones, she looks skeletal.  She doesn't have much energy so can't do much, she sleeps for around 20 hours a day, some days more.

She was placed on a morphine pump when she had jaundice back in May but they changed this to 2 tablets instead due to the inconvenience of the district nurse having to come daily to change it. She also has a tablet for nerve pain and takes paracetamol every 4 hours, she is getting alot of pain around the pancreatic tumour area and the Oncologist has said the pain could be the tumour or stomach ulcers. 

A CT Scan is booked for 16th August so we are waiting with baited breath to see if the immunotherapy has done anything,  if I'm honest I don't think it has as she looks and feels so awful.