Dad now on prednisolone after stopping Chemotherapy and Immunotherapy

• 1 reply
  • 68 subscribers

Hi everyone, it's my first post here, and reading the comments and threads over the last few months has been so helpful.

My Dad was diagnosed with Stage 4 lung cancer in January, he's 79 and as well as battling cancer, he's also my Mum's carer, as she's been suffering from depression for a number of years. He started on chemotherapy in March, but the consultant stopped that in June as the cancer was spreading. They then tried immunotherapy as second line treatment but sadly that hasn't worked either and they stopped after four rounds. They've now put him on prednisolone for a couple of weeks (8 tablets a day) with a view to starting radiotherapy in a few weeks. 

One thing I've found supporting a parent through this terrible illness is that Dad sometimes won't tell me the full details of what's going on, so as not to make us worrry too much. I often get the treatment updates when I find letters from the hospital left on the kitchen table when I go and visit him at home. And when I ask him what's going on, it can stress him out, so I'm keen not to add to his load.  If anyone here has had a similar treatment routine, how steroids work, and can offer any advice and experiences of it that would be amazing.

Thank you