SCLC/Tecentriq/Brain mets now 9 months on

• 3 replies
  • 68 subscribers

Hello all, quick run through of our road so far. My lovely mum was diagnosed in Dec 2020 with SCLC extensive, mets to lymph nodes, adrenal gland, liver and bones, all the left side.
Mum started chemo in Jan,  Carboplatin and Etoposide with Tecentriq. 4 cycles of chemo and mum did so well, she had some tough days, but got through them. Pet scans were great, shrinkage of lung tumour and mets, so Tecentriq was continued every month and mum was doing well, all her hair grew back with chemo curls and no issues with the immunotherapy.
However, mum had a pet scan in August and was due her 11th immunotherapy treatment, but there showed some progression in her chest area and they stopped the treatment. I had noticed some small changes too, her balance, so asked her nurse if we could do a brain scan, which they did. We met with an Oncologist this week, I will be honest, I didn't like her! She didn't appreciate my questions which were general ones, she cut me off and I just got a gut feeling from her. I don't feel she is going to fight for my mum, I feel we are just a number. She was quite rude.
So, we were told there has been progression in the thorax area, so mum started 2nd line chemo today, Carboplatin and Gemcitabine. Sadly, there has also been progression in the brain and there is a 1cm deposit which is the reason for the balance issues as it's in that area.
There was talk of radiation therapy to chest and brain but we have not been given any other information, whether we will see a radiologist, just no idea.
During the meeting,i asked if mum would be offered any other immunotherapy and the onc bluntly said 'there are no others' but I question this as I know other people have tried different ones to find one that works better. We have also been advised to find a new Oncologist from fellow SCLC patients, but I don't really know what to do?
I want the best for my mum, she wants to know as little as possible, so I have to be her voice.
The brain mets are a new road for us, so if anyone has any info, advice or experience please do share them with me. We are trying to get as much information as we can. WBR experiences, good or bad, is it worth it because of side effects? 
Also, has anyone else had, tried or been offered another immunotherapy? Would be great to know.
We are not sure what this next part of the road has for mum, I won't lie, i'm scared,much more than when we got her diagnosis. Mum was given the standard 12 months to 21 months. We know these are quite old statistics and people do well. Anyone diagnosed with this horrible disease, don't give up! I never knew how strong my beautiful mum was until we faced this with her. It's hard on the road together, but one i would not let her walk alone.

• Hi I am so sorry to hear about your mum , my mum is just starting treatment next week hopefully for SCLC , the scan revealed her lung was clear as she had a op in Feb to remove the tumor and chemo for 3 months after but unfortunately on the 15th September she had the devastating news that her cancer had spread and was incurable. They gave my mum 4 months without treatment or maybe 12 with , as you can gather we were all heartbroken and still am, my mum has opted for the treatment and is having carboplatin and eptoposode along side immunotherapy which is atezoliumab. I am hoping and praying for her and have heard good results from this treatment , I'm praying you can get some more information and the best treatment for your mum .  Love to you all 

Julie x

• Hello Julie, 

I'm so sorry you find yourself here too, it sucks!

My mum had the same chemo and tolerated it so well, she had a few down days, but she got through them. I hope your mum does well and responds well with her treatment too, and I hope the immunotherapy helps, it has helped my mum until now. 

Mum has her brain MRI on Friday, so we will learn more about the spread here too and see what the next step is  it's so scary. 

Wishing your mum all the best on this road, and remember to take time out for you too as it is emotionally tiring at times xxx

• Hi and thankyou for your reply, I do hope you get some positive news after your mums MRI , it's so hard trying to stay strong,  I'm not happy with my mums oncologist,  feels just like she's another number but maybe that's just me and how I'm feeling , he's not a compassionate man at all.. I'm praying for you and your mum please let me know how you get on , my mum starts her treatment WWednesday. Much love 

Xx