Meningioma & What effect treatmen can have

• 7 replies
  • 4 subscribers

I was diagnosed with a Meningioma back in 2013 when it was 19mmx9mm on right side I had MRI scans & it was said it has not grown & i most likely had it for years & even decades & after about 5 years was discharged

I had originally told that if i did need treatment i would have either surgery or radiation

Since then had moved so had a so got referred & had a MRI scan 2022 was told all was okay & have another one in 2 years

Just had the scan (July) went for results where i am told that it has grown it's 33mm i think was said

I told them i have low platelets 48 so surgery is out, they are to discuss at a meeting on Tuesday on if i can have radiation

I don't get headaches as such but do get pain at temple going across forehead, but it more like someone sticking a pin in me to a ache more than pain but don't last more than a minute or so but can get them serveral times a day or even serveral times in a hour or two

I was wondering at what size would treatment be & how if i do have radiation how it can effect me do i lose my hair or patches (if so rather shave it off)

Is there anything i should know so I can ask the right questions

• Hello Atkins64

I hope you do not mind me replying as I had a different type of cancer to you. By doing so it should bump your post and someone who has had a similar experience and treatment to yourself may see it and offer some more specific support.

I am sorry to hear of your long journey with the meningioma and that there has been some growth which may need some treatment.

I hope that the MDT meeting on Tuesday goes well and that it can bring some answers as to what the next steps may be. 

I had radiotherapy myself back in 2022 and hair loss was only in the area treated and it soon came back. If they offer radiotherapy and you decide to go ahead my experience was that there was a detailed radiotherapy planning scan that takes place around 3 weeks before it starts. There was plenty of chance to go through what the treatment would entail and what side effects could be expected. The radiotherapists then planned the treatment to target specifically the areas needed and to also minimise any effects on healthy tissue. The treatment itself was painless as the machine does not touch you. I did find it quite tiring though.

I will pop a couple of links here that may help. If you do want anymore information, please do give the Support Line a call.

Meningioma | Macmillan Cancer Support

Radiotherapy for a brain tumour | Macmillan Cancer Support

I wish you well with any treatment that you have, but in the meantime we are here if you need us.

Jane

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm

• Thank you Jane

I am thinking that as I might have bald patches may as well get it all my hair taken off at least it will grow evenly then

I do know people who had radiotherapy but with chemo as well so it's a bit different.

It's the not being able to drive i am hoping that i will be allow to after a bit as i am the driver my husband don't & both of us are disable & OAP so we will be stuck as no bus stop close by

When i have had to go to the hospital & asked for hospital transport i been told that i can't get it as i don't have cancer or undergoing dialise hoping that if i have radiotherapy i will get transport as it takes nearly a hour to get to the hospital & not being able to drive will put a spok in wheel

Regards

Janice

• Hi Janice

If they offer radiotherapy I would speak to your CNS. Mine arranged patient transport for every radiotherapy appointment- there and back, no charge with the red cross- they said with radiotherapy there was a medical need. For more routine appointments- not connected to oncology- in my hospital there are volunteer drivers who are cheaper than a taxi as they are subsidised. 

If you are having radiotherapy for a meningioma, I can not see there being an issue with getting some sort of support with transport. 

With the hair loss it may be work waiting to see how much of an area is affected before making a decision. But they should be able to tell you at your planning scan. It may be a very small area that you can disguise. 

• Thank you Jane

I would think that i should get transport as well

With my hair, I just said to my husband having it all off wouldn't bother me it may even grow back better as it's getting thin at the front & be better managable lol

I am of course going to wait until i hear from them & what the plan is I am just one of these people who like to think of all possible things that i can so i don't have to think of what to do there & then

I forgot to say in previous post I hope that you are doing well & fully recovered from your tumour & treatment

Regards Janice

• Hi Janice

I am the same- I like to think around what could happen do I have time to prepare. It will also help when you see the consultant- I often write down a list of questions to have ready. 

Jane

• Thanks Jane

I should get a phone call rather than have to go all the way to the hospital for her to tell me what the meeting said.

I think i have all the questions i need to ask if i am going to have radiotherapy as i will need to go for them to do a mask before having it i can then ask face to face on that visit. I do want to know if they can send me a copy of the MRI scan report for my records as i have copy of the original one, as we are possible looking to sell & move sometime in the future after all is done i like to have copies of all my medical stuff as different trusts don't have access to my medical records

Even here i was referred to an Orthopaedic consultant about hip replacement & this is a different trust than my doctors & they don't have access to it. I remember years ago we signed something so medical records could be accessed but no it don't work like that even my doctors only look at medical stuff since i have been with them not any from where we moved from

Janice

• Hi Jane I found out it has grown a bit, they decide to not do any radiotherapy & scan next July

They didn't have a copy of the original MRI scan report so from that it had grown more than they thought when they had the meeting which I am a bit peeved about as they made a decision on half facts

So I just have to carry on as i am in some ways that's is good but in other ways not as they need all the facts

Thanks for your input hope you are staying well

Regards

Janice