Secondary Liver Cancer

• 3 replies
  • 17 subscribers

Hi all,

I am new here. Recently got news yesterday that my dad (57 years old) has been diagnosed with secondary liver cancer - primary being in his eye (which has been cured and has been clear from it now for 12 years). This was a massive shock to both me and my Mum. Dad is completely healthy, no other health issues, but all they are able to tell us is “No treatment”.

WHY? I physically can’t get my head around this!!! Please please, can someone advise me on what to do next? Mum and I are going to fight for more of an explanation on Monday, we physically cannot accept that a healthy man at 57 years old is just being given up on and not getting a chance to fight. No chemo or anything offered to him???

• Hello Coffeenut, 

Welcome to the forum, I understand that you really don't want to be here, but I hope you will get a lot of information from others which you might find useful.  

Unfortunately my knowledge of the cancer type your Dad has is not positive, but my Brother in Law was not necessarily "completely healthy" so for this reason I would urge you to seek a 2nd opinion. 

My Husband has liver as a secondary, but for Oesophageal cancer, so it is different, but he has not been on treatment for the last 3 months because of Trial requirements, so whilst off treatment and waiting for next steps he takes a minimum of 4 Turkey Tail Mushroom Capsules 1200mg every day. We heard about these whilst watching the documentary on Netflix called Fantastic Fungi, obviously there is no medical acknowledgement of what this mushroom can do from any real Trials, but for us, thankfully they seem to work in the UK.   You and Dad may want to look into this a bit further whilst waiting for more information on whether there will be any chance of any other alternative, I can't make any promises that they will be effective, but for my husband his mindset was, "I have to do something"

I am really sorry that you are all going through this and I acknowledge how much of a shock you guys received, I do hope that something will be offered soon. 

Sending you all Strength 

Lowe'

Call the helpline for free on 08088080000, 8am to 8pm everyday.
    Tomorrow is not promised but it always has potential. Aim for your potential!
  • Thank you so so much for your reply.
    Can I ask a bit more about your brother in law? Was it exactly the same and did he receive any treatment?

we have just been told tonight that we can meet with the oncologist face to face on Monday to get questions answered and if we don’t like what is being said we will definitely be asking for a second or even third opinion until we find someone who is going to fight and not give up on my dad. He deserves more than to just fall through the system and accept that this is it.

• Hi

It is not the best of stories sadly, 

My Brother in law was diagnosed in March 2021 with secondary liver cancer after having ocular metastasis 8 years previously for which he underwent radiotherapy. Once the Liver cancer was discovered, Mark was offered and was given a chemo based treatment.

It is hard to know exactly what happened, but it seems as if, due to Covid, and the lack of regular scans being given at the time, the cancer had the opportunity to take hold in the liver, working from the inside out, therefore when the Liver cancer was discovered and treatment was given there was an adverse effect, which made Mark very ill, he had trouble moving, getting up or out of bed, we had to move his bedroom downstairs, and call for the doctor as Mark progressively worsened. When the doctors at Barts spoke to my Daughter they suggested that the treatment was attacking Mark's immune system rather than healing him. 

Due to the needs required for Mark, and the bloating that he experienced it made it impossible for our family to look after Mark at home, and he was moved to St Joseph's hospice in April of the same year. 

Sadly, Mark Passed Away on 15.5.21 aged 57

Sorry that I do not have more of a positive story for you. 

Lowe'

Call the helpline for free on 08088080000, 8am to 8pm everyday.
    Tomorrow is not promised but it always has potential. Aim for your potential!