Newly diagnosed

• 5 replies
  • 15 subscribers

Hi there, 

I did a bowel screening test mid December, unfortunately it cameback with blood in my poo, fast fwd to mid Jan and a colonoscopy and ctc scan that revealed bowel cancer with secondaries in the liver, i had an emergency op to remove tumors in the bowel,and having my appendix removed also,again unfortunately,it didn’t quite heal properly so I had to have a 2nd op a week later resulting in now having a stoma,which I’m actually quite proud to have in a weird way, and ask people if the want to see my bag, which so far everyone has, which in a way has helped me with accepting it as part of me, I had my meeting with the oncology department a few days ago and found out that although my liver cancer isn’t curable it is treatable, to be honest at the time I just heard the “not curable “ bit and switched off for a bit, I’ve been told that my treatment with chemo, will involve one session of an infusion followed up by sessions by tablet form, then a break ,then repeat.I would appreciate any feedback from anyone with any experience of this as I am finding it quite daunting , I do realise that everyone can have a reaction unique to themI’m 

• Hi  

I’d like to suggest that you also join and post in the bowel cancer group-this is the link

Bowel Cancer Support Group

There are a lot of members there with experience of spread to the liver and treatments, and I’m sure you’d be able to connect with members who can help and advise in addition to this group.

Sarah xx

Community Champion Badge

Cervical Cancer Forum

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm

• That’s great Sarah, thank you so much x

• I hope you’ll get some help there-it’s a busy group with lots of experienced members. I was interested you have asked people to look at your stoma bag! I have 2 stomas and have never asked anyone if they’d like to see them! The only people that have are my partner and medical staff! 

Sarah xx

Community Champion Badge

Cervical Cancer Forum

• I’ve shown close friends, it came about , because I was talking about my scar from the op(s) I had, asked if they wanted to see it , I explained they would see my bag, and everyone has been cool with this, probably curious, I think it works for me in 2 ways, as in it educates people and also helps me deal with the fact that I have it .

• I think that’s brilliant actually. People in general don’t know what it’s like to have a stoma so an opportunity to educate those who’d like to know a bit more is a great idea. The fact it helps you too is a real benefit. 

I’m sorry to read of the new challenges you’re facing, but hope you’ll soon be able to get on with your treatment plan.

Sarah xx

Community Champion Badge

Cervical Cancer Forum