Partner’s recent diagnosis

• 4 replies
  • 16 subscribers

Hi all. Feeling extremely lost and very low . Partner diagnosed on 23rd with cancer of the colon . Large tumour they couldn’t get the scope up .  Boxing Day rushed him in with abdominal pains … 2 days later had stoma fitted . 2 days later told it had spread to his liver . Dr has been amazing they’ve got things done quite quickly but feel that some of the info we’ve been given has confused us . Was told he’d probably have chemo we don’t know stage , biopsies inconclusive so now having a liver biopsy this week. Dr said that he was being candid and that depending on how bad the liver is will decide treatment but said would probably be chemo at a high dose.  I asked if it was terminal he didn’t say it was histology not back that he said palliative care . I am 57 my partner now 61 and we want get married we have a mortgage so it would tie loose ends up. I asked the bowel

nurse yesterday and she said it was incurable… dr had said chemo and if effective and tumour shrink they would remove it . I’m now feeling so depressed as thinking the absolute worst and we have been told . He has a drs appt on Friday after the liver biopsy on Thursday. The bowel nurse had also mentioned Christie’s hospital when the discussion had been had in hospital 10 days ago or so . I’m so up and down worried about partner , how long has he got , the mortgage, the dogs I feelikenim going have a breakdown and I’m trying to keep positive as we’ve been told to be . My partner isn’t giving much away … he must be distraught 

• Hi  

It's not surprising that you're feeling lost and low with all that you and your partner have been through recently and you might find this information from Macmillan on the emotional effects of caring for someone with cancer useful to have a look through.

As you know, the online community is divided into different support forums so I'm going to recommend that you also join the carers only forum as you'll then connect directly with other carers to discuss your emotions as well as practical issues.

If you'd like to join that forum, just click on the link I've created and, once you've joined, you can start a new post in the same way as you did here and join in with existing conversations by clicking on 'reply'.

It would be great if you could put something about your partner's diagnosis and treatment into your profile as it really helps others when replying to you and also when looking for someone on a similar pathway. It also means that you don't have to keep repeating yourself. To do this click on your username and then select 'Profile'. You can amend it at any time and if you're not sure what to write you can take a look at mine by clicking on my username.

Sending virtual (((hugs)))

Community Champion Badge

"Never regret a day in your life, good days give you happiness, bad days give you experience"

• Hi Marella. How are you and how is your partner? I write as I find myself in a similar situation. My other half was diagnosed a week ago with stage 4 liver cancer from the small intestine. We have the first oncology appointment tomorrow and we are dreading it. Hoping that they say chemo them a resection is possible but the way things have been going, not optimistic. I am trying to find some hope in the new treatments and, as she is relatively fit and  healthy and only 56, we are praying for some positive news amongst the doom and gloom. Anyway, I hope things are going as well as they can for you both. I share all the same worries about mortgages, families, even pets etc!

• Hi , sorry for the late reply.Sorry to hear about your partner. My now husband is 61quite fit too . I am struggling tbh it’s a lot to get your heads around isn’t it . He’s had his1st chemo 12 hours we were at the hospital he’s had 3 infusions and 1 he came home with for 2 days. His cancer is incurable and I pray and hope every day that we have years and not months. It’s awful to see the person you love go through this and keeping positive energy is good for you both but it is draining. I’m off work with him because he has become disoriented and I worry about his meds and eating as he has to keep his body strength up. Fee free to keep in touch as we seem to be on a similar path. 
    How has the oncologist appt gone ? Take care and keep strong we’ve got this and if we haven’t and feel down there are people on here for support. That heavy heart. Seems to be constant and we’re scared it’s the unknown and only people that know how it feels can understand. Take care xx

• Thanks for replying Marella. It sounds like you're going through the mill, the both of you. As you said, seems like keeping positive and strong is critical but it feels like it's going to be exhausting. I know that sounds ridiculously selfish but I don't want to be of no use to my partner - she deserves better. 

On a slightly more positive note, they have not ruled out surgery yet. However, we have a PET scan next week - if that is clear then we have a glimmer of hope. If not, it is very bad news. But we are trying to take the small wins so the appointment yesterday wasn't too bad.

We told her parents today which was really upsetting but at least they now know (in their 80s!). 

You and your husband take care and will update as things develop. I am assuming talking without bothering my other half will help but I'm too new to this to know.