Treatment confusion

• 2 replies
  • 15 subscribers

Hi all,

My husband was told before Christmas that his bowel cancer had spread to the liver. All we were told was incurable but could have treatment. I have to say when we were first told although I was totally broken I managed to push it to the back of my mind as with two children and Christmas approaching there was plenty to keep me occupied! Fast forward to today and we had a phone call following the MDT to tell my husband that he has an appointment with the oncologist next week. My mind has now delved straight into panic mode again, and I am completely confused about all the different types of treatments there seem to be (I have been avoiding Google thus far). Any help or explanations / experiences would be much appreciated. 

• I’m so sorry you’re going through this, Purely from my husbands experience, he was offered chemo, which although they felt wouldn’t cure him, was given in the hope of prolonging life/slowing the spread. he was also given a round of radiotherapy for the same reason. They also made sure to check on his symptoms and offer pain relief etc

• Thanks for your reply, sounds like a very similar situation, and that is what I was assuming they might offer, but reading around there seems like lot of other options guess it all depends on all sorts of things, one thing that seems obvious is that there doesn’t seem to be a one option suits all! I guess it’s a case of wait and see, hopefully they will explain all the options available next week xx