SABR

• 16 replies
  • 15 subscribers

Hi everyone I’m wondering if any of you have experience of this treatment? I’ve been told that I may be offered it for my most recent liver mets. Thank you!

• My husband is in the middle of SABR treatment on metastasised colon cancer in his liver. He is having it because the tumour in his liver is in a place that would make it very difficult (and unsafe)  to operate on. He is having 5 SABR sessions on alternate days  

• Thanks for your reply MaryJay. I hope your husband is doing well. 

• No side effects to the SABR so far and to be honest he’s not expecting anything other than some fatigue possibly. I can let you know how he goes after he’s had all 5 of you would like. His journey so far has been an operation to remove a tumour in his colon (which went very well) and 3 cycles of chemo which didn’t suit him well at all. He walks about 2 - 2.5 miles most days to stay fit. 

I hope you get some news soon about your next steps and are able to keep your spirits up. 

• Thanks for giving me more information. I really appreciate it. I feel much better about this as an option now. I phoned my hospital this morning and I’m on the MDT with the liver hospital next Tuesday. Next Friday is the liver hospital’s MDT, so they should have some kind of plan ready for me the following week at my oncology  appointment. I’m glad your husband isn’t anticipating any side effects, other than fatigue. If you don’t mind, I’d love to hear how he gets on later. I hope you are coping well.

• I will certainly let you know how he gets on as time progresses. I hope you get some firm information after the MDT. Prior to having SABR my husband had to have another CT scan and another MRI. He also received three almost invisible tattoos on his chest.  All this was then used as I understand it to map his tumour and then plot the trajectory of the radiotherapy and make a plan for his treatment. It took 2-3 weeks to complete. 

• I’d read about something to do with markings. My problem is that I read something and forget it! That’s really helpful. Thanks again for taking the time to reply to me.

• You’re welcome Relaxed️ 

• Hi MaryJay I just wanted to say thank you again for sharing your husband’s experience of SABR. I had a call from my hospital earlier, and the other hospital look unlikely to be offering me this treatment. It looks like they’re going to suggest another surgery. I’m gutted. 

• My husband wasn’t able to have surgery because his lesion is located very close to 2 blood vessels and so it would have been a very tricky op. So for him SABR was the second best option. Hopefully your surgery will be super successful! Please keep us up to date with your journey. I hope you hear something soon 

• I’m sorry about your husband’s situation preventing him from having surgery. I only had a resection last year, so am not keen to have another one so soon. I know I should consider myself lucky to have a choice. I suppose I just need to wait and see if that’s all I’m offered. Thanks for being so kind. Fingers crossed that your husband continues to do well.