Liver Biopsy

• 3 replies
  • 12 subscribers

I’ve got an unknown primary cancer, might be a GIST (Gastro intestinal stromal tumour), seems there are traces in my liver so will be having a liver biopsy on Thursday, this should confirm or deny things… hopefully.

I’ve had pelvic biopsies before (one very painful, one not) both under local anaesthetic.

The liver biopsy will be under IV sedation. Not quite sure what this means but guessing it’s more than a local but less than a general anaesthetic. If I’m sedated, like half asleep and/or drowsy, I wonder how I would be able to hold my breath for 10seconds or so as I understand is part of the procedure.

Can anyone who has had a liver biopsy please explain how it went, including the sedation, and also the recovery time (up to 6 hours lying down?) and any side effects? For the record, I have a very very low pain threshold so my radiologist knows to use as much anaesthetic as is safe and permitted.

I will be asking these questions to the radiologist (he’s very good and very personable) when he calls me tomorrow or Wednesday, but would welcome info from anyone here who has had one..

Thanks.

• Hi

I recently had a liver biopsy which was local anaesthetic, it was a tad uncomfortable but not painful at all, it was very quick and I would guess about ten mins from beginning to end. They showed me the tiny little piece they had taken and placed in a jar of fluid. There was some slight bruising afterwards but really nothing to worry about.

I hope this helps and I really understand that any medical procedure can be worrying or a bit scary but in my case it was a very professional in and out job with no problems at all. I hope yours goes as well as mine. 

H

• Hi 

I had a liver biopsy 10 days ago, and my experience  was the same as Hennas. It's a little painful afterwards but totally manageable. I wish you well.

Kurgan 

• Hi Henna and Kurgan, thank you both for your replies, really appreciated and I shall just put my big girl knickers on and get through it. My first pelvic biopsy was very uncomfortable and I nearly screamed down the hospital. My second pelvic biopsy was a breeze as the radiologist used as much anaesthetic as he could, I felt nothing. So as my liver biopsy is being done by the second radiologist I shall ask him again to give me loads!!!  I don't mind the bruising, no-one sees it (except medical and my partner!) and after pain I can manage with painkillers. 

Thank you both again and I wish you both well in your journeys.