Lenvima

• 3 replies
  • 12 subscribers

Good morning everyone, hope you are all doing ok. I was previously having immunotherapy but it had to be stopped due to horrible side effects. My oncology team have now suggested as my final and only treatment line left, to start taking Lenvima (lenvatinib) to try to fight against HCC. Has anyone been using this ? if so did you get any side effects ? I am worried about starting this treatment as on immunotherapy I got life limiting side effects and the side effect list for this drug seem worse. 

• Hi  

I don't have any experience with the drug lenvatinib but I noticed that your post hadn't had any replies yet. I've searched the group and found these posts which mention it for you to have a look through.

x

Community Champion Badge

"Never regret a day in your life, good days give you happiness, bad days give you experience"

• Hi dancingqueen,

My husband has been taking lenvatinib for about 18 months now. He has fibrolamellar HCC.He previously had immunotherapy as part of a trial and had to stop due to autoimmune hepatitis. Prior to that he had sorafenib.

He tolerates the lenvatinib pretty well and better than sorafenib which gave him sore hands and feet. He says it can make him a bit flushed after he's taken it. He has needed to start a small dose of a blood pressure tablet because it made his blood pressure high. He does get tired and needs a sleep most afternoons but that may also be 15 years of treatment that he's had.    

It's much less disruptive/intrusive as a treatment than chemo or immunotherapy and allows us to carry on with life as best we can. Most importantly his mets seemed to have slowed their growth for the time being.

Hope that helps, and good luck, keep dancing xx

• Thanks for your reply. I am nervous about taking it esp after all my previous side effects and reading the full list of side effects of this new drug