Hairy cell leukaemia

• 764 replies
  • 8 subscribers
Hi

I was diagnosed with HCL on 6 June 2006. Yes 6th of the 6th of the 6th. ironic eh?

I would really like to meet anyone who has Hairy cell leukaemia (HCL too).

Anyone out there?
  • FormerMember
    FormerMember
    Hi Wendy and everyone else. I'm Susie from Maryland in the good old US of A. I was diagnosed with HCL in May 2008 at the age of 44 and treated with Cladrbine in June 2008. I was diagnosed early and my treatment wasn't so bad. It's so good to see you all here!
  • FormerMember
    FormerMember
    How is your recovery progressing ? Its good to have fellow sufferers around you as you go through the healing process i thought. Its great to have you on board, welcome.
    Just a quick Introduction in case you haven't read all the posts. I was diagnosed may 2005 had Cladribine for 5 days now in remission. Age 55, male, living in Perth West Australia.
  • Howdee, Bobby - the thing to remember about our marvellously prettty English/Scottish/Welsh countryside is... IT IS USUALLY SODDEN WET WITH ALL OUR RAIN. You're better off in Oz, Bobby - glad your daughter's wedding was a whizz, bet your speech was a classic!

Oh Nicky: who's counting up hairy men and women then? Ha! Don't spend too long in your local pub....

Cheers, Frank.

Best wishes, Frank

• FormerMember
    FormerMember
    Hi Susie,
    I'm Roberta from the U.S. How low were your counts when the doctors treated you? I'm still waiting until my ANC count gets low enough for treatment. My doctor says that you can let the HCL progress until it makes your counts too abnormal. I was just curious about how far along your HCL was when you were treated. I'm glad that you made it through your treatment and didn't have a bad experience.
  • FormerMember
    FormerMember

Have you met Frank?

A man walks out to the street and manages to get a taxi just going by. He gets into the taxi, and the cabbie says,
    'Perfect timing. You're just like Frank.'

Passenger: 'Who?'

Cabbie: 'Frank Feldman. He's a guy who did everything right all the time. Like my coming along when you needed a cab, things happened like that to Frank Feldman every single time.'

Passenger: 'There are always a few clouds over everybody.'

Cabbie: 'Not Frank Feldman. He was a terrific athlete. He could have won the Grand-Slam at tennis. He could golf with the pros. He sang like an opera baritone and danced like a Broadway star and you should have heard him play the piano. He was an amazing guy.'

Passenger: 'Sounds like he was something really special.'

Cabbie: 'There's more... He had a memory like a computer. Could remember everybody's birthday. He knew all about wine, which foods to order and which fork to eat them with. He could fix anything. Not like me. I change a fuse, and the whole street blacks out. But Frank Feldman, he could do everything right.'

Passenger: 'Wow, some guy then.'

Cabbie: 'He always knew the quickest way to go in traffic and avoid traffic jams. Not like me, I always seem to get stuck in them. But Frank, he never made a mistake, and he really knew how to treat a woman and make her feel good. He would never answer her back even if she was in the wrong and his clothing was always immaculate, shoes highly polished too. He was the perfect man! He never made a mistake. No one could ever measure up to Frank Feldman.'

Passenger: 'An amazing fellow. How did you meet him?'

Cabbie: 'Well, I never actually met Frank, he died 2 years ago. I just married his f#%&ing widow.'

• Bobby: I'm gonna copy that joke onto a mate of mine, also called Frank, heehee. Should amuse him.

Best wishes, Frank

• FormerMember
    FormerMember
    its good to see a new forum and some of the old names and many new ones, my story for those who dont know is i was diagnosed in 1999 treated with pentastatin and HCL came back in 2001, treated agaon with Pentastatin and ive now been in remission for 8 yrs. and im feeling great, the only time i feel bad is just before my yearly blood test. in that time i have been a volunteer for leukaemiacare and have spoken to mmany people diagnosed with HCL so dont hesitate to ask questions of me, i am always glad to help.
    regards to you all
    Richard
  • FormerMember
    FormerMember
    Hello to Wendy

Richard,Frank, Bobby and Nicky we are getting around these days

Well as i last posted on LCare still doing fine - how long is it now!!! oh yes 9 years since i had pentostatin - glad to hear you are all doing fine

As above feel free to ask any questions
  • Hi Jenny: Nice to hear you are keeping well... long time no hear, etc. We're all coming out of the woodwork lately, eh? and there's even been quite a bit of hairy cell activity on the LeukaemiaCARE site... stay chirpy.. good to see richard still enjoys the odd pint of beer, me too.

Best wishes, Frank

• FormerMember
    FormerMember
    I am only here Jenny because Nicky said that if i came to this site there would be a pint of beer waiting for me at my local paid for by her ....Well when i got to the Frog and Tempest (my local) Ron, (the landlord ) said he had never heard of a Nicky Clark . Its a funny old world HE HE
    Sounds like you are doing fine ,Great to hear from you again.
    Keep well
    ....Bobby....