Hello

• 4 replies
  • 9 subscribers

Hi everyone, I'm new to this. I hope you're all ok and as well as you can be.

was diagnosed with Squamous Cell Carcinoma Larynx in December 2022, I am 50 years old, I'm disabled in a wheelchair with rare medical conditions.I was due to have a full Laryngectomy operation on 13th January 2023. Unfortunately I had a severe allergic reaction to a drug the gave me during the operation, it caused anaphylactic shock.I had two heart attacks in theatre and a third heart attack in critical care, I was clinically dead for 30 minutes. The surgeon could only fit a tracheostomy, he had to abandon the rest of the surgery, he wasn't able to remove the tumour and my lymph gland in my neck. They were going to turn my life support system off, but my wife insisted they didn't,  I'm so relieved she did, I woke up two days later, it was awful for my family to go through.I am no longer a candidate for surgery. I had 15 sessions of Radiotherapy in April 2023. The cancer is terminal I'm now trying to make the most of every day. 

• Hello Summer475

A warm welcome to the Online Community.

I am sorry to hear of your diagnosis in December 2022 of Larynx cancer. It sounds like you have had a really challenging time with your health. I hope that you and your family are having the support you need from your team. I hope that you are not having too many side effects from the radiotherapy and that it has helped. 

There is a forum on here that you may find helpful and it is specifically for people with an incurable diagnosis. You are very welcome to post in the Larynx group as well, but will put a link to the other forum as it may help in the future to share with others who are in a similar situation. I am sure you will receive a very warm welcome.

Living with incurable cancer forum | Macmillan Online Community

To go through such a challenging time medically and to hear that the cancer is something that you will be living with is hard. If you feel chatting things through would help then please do consider giving the Support Line a call. They are lovely on there and will also be able to have a look in your local area to see if there is any local support. Your family is also very welcome to call if they want to.

In the meantime, I hope that your recovery from the radiotherapy goes well and if there is anything else you need- then please do ask.

Jane

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm

• Hi jane2522.

Thank you ever so much for the warm welcome and thanks ever so much for the useful information you have given me. I really appreciate it. 

I don't feel so alone as much now I know there's support out there, especially for my family as well.

• Hi  

Can I take this opportunity to say how sorry I am you are in such a fix. In addition to Jane's suggestion If you feel up to it have a look at the Head and Neck cancer Group which is where I help out. It's a little more active than this group and there are quite a few folk with Larynx cancer there too. 

Dani 

Base of tongue cancer. T2N0M0 6 weeks Radiotherapy finished January 2019

I wrote a blog about my cancer. just click on the link below 

https://todaymycoffeetasteslikechristmasincostarica.com 

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm

Community Champion badge
  • Hi beesuit 

Thanks very much for the useful information you've given me, it's very kind of you. I will definitely have a look at the Head and Neck Cancer group and I will look forward to reading your blog.