Don't know where to start

• 2 replies
  • 8 subscribers

Hi everyone. I have had throat problems all my life. I'm nearly 53. Had first tonsillectomy and adenoidectomy at 8. Voice and throat problems before and after and since. Second tonsillectomy at 28. Ent referrals sprays speech therapy etc etc. Nov 9 found leukoplasia. Biopsy Nov 23 results Dec 27 severe dysplasia/ cis. Laser oral resection cancelled Feb 12 as tech prob I was there ready to go down for it but now I'm waiting for phone to ring. Been off work a week got my payslip today £48.50 for a week ssp. Consultant told me not to go bk to work as its going to be short notice to have it done within 62 days of diagnosis. Worries are I am tired all the time. Anxiety about op ie waiting for results. Money kids looking after my mum. Feel in limbo. Was so geared up on Monday everything going great til prob with microscope used for surgery. 

• Hello Brave and scared

Welcome to the Online Community. I am normally to be found helping out in the womb group, so hope you do not mind me responding. Hopefully by doing so, someone who has experienced similar to you will see the post and offer some support.

I am sorry to hear of your throat problems and that the biopsy showed severe dysplasia/cis. It must have been tough to have the laser resection cancelled at the last minute- I hope they have got back to you with a new date. 

I can understand that everything feels in limbo at the moment and it is very natural to feel anxious about waiting for the results and the effect being unwell can have on the rest of life/family. I remember one of my first worries on being diagnosed was finances/work. I was lucky in that work was supportive when I needed time off for appointments but I did only receive SSP.

Can I suggest that you give the Support Line a call and speak to one of the financial advisors. You can also do it via online chat. I did this myself and they were able to look at my specific circumstances, gave me advice on what I could claim and how to do so. It made a big difference as once finances were sorted, I could focus on my treatment and getting better. 

You can also use the Ask an Expert section on here, but may have to wait a couple of days for them to get back to you.

Ask a cancer expert | Macmillan Online Community

I hope this helps a bit and that you hear back for a new date very soon. In the meantime if there is anything you need, please do ask.

Jane

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm

• Thankyou I have spoken to my boss and it will be sorted. Taking it slowly. Op reschedule for 28th Feb hopefully