Metastatic laryngeal cancer

• 1 reply
  • 8 subscribers

In 2017 I had a total laryngectomy. Shortly after the surgery I had chemotherapy along with 33 radiation treatments.

I was cancer free for 5 years. Then I was coughing up blood with bad right lung sounds. After a CT they found a small cancerous nodual in my right lung. The cancer had spread to my lungs. They removed the nodual.

A few months later they noticed the lymph nodes in my chest close to where the nodual was removed were enlarged. After a PET scan they confirmed it was cancer.

That was 9 months ago. They started me on immunotherapy using Ketruda. 

The latest CT shows the lymph nodes are still getting bigger.

So now I have a PET scan scheduled for this weekend. Then a meeting with a radiology oncologist. Sounds like they are going to start radiation on my lymph nodes. That's where I'm at now.

Not sure how this will turn out 

• Hi  

I'm sorry to read that your cancer has spread and that the immunotherapy hasn't done as well as expected. I hope you don't mind me answering your post as I have not had the same type of cancer. I noticed that your post had not yet had any replies but by me replying it will place your post back at the top so that it may be seen by more members of the larynx group and hopefully you may get more replies to compare treatments etc. It's a good idea to write a profile so that others can read your history and it saves you repeating yourself. Just click on your username, then profile and save when you're done. You can read anyone's profile by clicking on their username. You can also put the information you are seeking into the search button at the top of the page.

I realise that you may be a bit nervous re radiotherapy but it is good that they can still offer more treatment. It may help to have a look at this forum to get more information on what to expect.

Radiotherapy & Side Effects forum 

https://www.macmillan.org.uk/cancer-information-and-support/treatments-and-drugs/radiotherapy-explained

The above is a link to radiotherapy information. I hope that your PET scan goes ok and I wish you all the best for your appointment. Best regards.

A x

What is a Community Champion?

I am a Macmillan volunteer. 

Macmillan Support Helpline

0808 808 00 00 

7 days a week between 8am -8pm