larynx cancer

FormerMember
FormerMember
  • 9 replies
  • 6 subscribers

hi all my name is john i am 43 yrs old and last week had my life turned upside down as i was told i have larynx cancer i have a meeting this thursday to discuss my treatment plan at the moment they are discussing on wether i will have a laser operation were they laser it out or 6 weeks 5 days a week of radiotheropy i am quite nervous about this as realy not sure would be the better treatment for me but i guess i will find out on thursday wich 1 i am having i would like to hear from sum1 who has had the laser treatment and the radiotheropy so i can try and get in to my head all will be ok with either option also please let me know how the treatment went and the side affect of the tratment thank you in advance to any 1 that helps me put my mind at rest ty all

• Hello John43, I know what a shock it can be when we are first told as it all sounds so daunting , I have had radio and chemo but in a different area and to be honest I did not have any severe side affects , mainly dryness of the mouth ,fatigue and tiredness . I think the lazer is better as it is more focused and pin points the area more than radio causing less damage or side affects  plus it might be quicker for healing purposes and duration but im not 100%on this . I can assure you that whatever method they do you will be ok its just a case of recovery  and what side affects ,if any . Most of us have had radiotherapy on here and come through the other end ok living a near normal life . I would ask about a feeding tube if your swallowing becomes a bit difficult . We will be here if you need anymore advice once you know your teams plan . Good luck for Thursday ,take care .

Chris .

Its sometimes not easy but its worth it ! 

Community Champion Badge

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to chris2012

hi chris ty for the message it is very reasuring wen hearing ppl say that they have had chemo and radio and still made a full recovery does put a smile back on my face also thank you for your kind words does mean alot and put my mind and rest more :) thx again and i will be bck to let u know how i get on thx again chris

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

Hi

My name is Muhammad Naseer 

I am 63 year old man.in 2010 Dec.i was diagnosed with 

squamous cell carcinoma of larynx.left side vocal cord. 

First my voice become slow after biopsy Dr.told me cancer. For second opinion I went Singapore for pet scan. They told me that only cancer is in vocal cord no other body part. Here in Pakistan Dr.told me to remove larynx but Singapore Dr.told me not to remove but chemo and radiation will cure .So I had treatment 3 chemo continuous in hospital  6 days  and 3 day care  1 day each after 21 days. 

Due to treatment my throat was choked and I had tube in my stomach and I feeded with Ensure milk around three month. After that gradually feed with mouth  and tube removed and still I am eating with mouth. I also had radiation  about 30 cycle. 

Side effect of treatment 

During treatment  hair of head ,moustaches ,beard fallen but after treatment all came back. 

Dry mouth 

Tirdness 

Foutigue 

Swallow food 

Teeth weakness 

Thyroide damage 

Can't work continuously more then 4 hour before I did 8 hour.now had to take rest in between 

Can't take tablet 

Becuse vocal.cord area narrow 

Now windpipe also narrow and trouble taking air to lungs 

Actually this is fight against cancer and you have to do. You must be brave and learn to live. 

Don't be depressed because life is  given by God and return by God. So this is just returnable gift and every body has to go even he is king or slave. 

I am happy with my new life gifted again by God 

Wish you all be strong to fight 

God is with you 

Naseer 

Sorry my english is not good but I tried my best 

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to FormerMember

hi naseer

ty so much for giving ur explaition on this matter im very greatful and i am glad u are making a full recovery all the best john

• FormerMember

hi chris ok i went to my appoinment on thursday and have been told i have to have the radiotheropy as the cancer has spread to the otherside of my vocal cord so they cnt do laser treatment as it too much of a risk permantly damaging my voice box so i have the journey of radiotheropy i have to have a mask making on wednesday and talk about wen treatment starts but they said it should be 3 weeks from wen they make the mask but they did also say they are 85 to 95% sure they can get rid of it and it only for 4 weeks 5 days a week and not 6 weeks  so all looking good at mo will keep u updated and ty for everything so far :)

• Hi John , sorry to hear you are having the radiotherapy but its best to be on the safe side , the mask making is nothing to worry about its like having a warm towel on your face as they mould it to the shape of your face , I quite enjoyed it . During radiotherapy you might find the mask gets a bit tight so please let them know if it feels uncomfortable as they will adjust it so it fits and feels better . It great that your consultant is confident that they cure it with the treatment , keep up the positive attitude and you will be ok . Good luck for tomorrows mask fitting ,take care .

Chris  

Community Champion Badge

• FormerMember

hi chris

ok i had the mask made and like u i quite enjoyed it actualy lol sort of relaxing huh anyway thats all dne and now just have to wait for wen the treatment starts should be in about 2 to 3 weeks hope all is good with you chris and take care for now i will keep you updated mate

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to FormerMember

Hi 

After radiation effected area will become black due to radiation. You should prepare to use alovera. I did and there is no any mark of burning or black clour on my  effected area. 

Thanks 

• Thanks for the update John , I found it quite relaxing also Slight smile. I found it best to keep myself busy while waiting for the treatment otherwise I found time dragged , good time to take up gardening I think Slight smile All the best mate .

Chris 

Community Champion Badge