Appointment today

• 20 replies
  • 52 subscribers

Hi, well after a 15 minute wait on our own in the consultation room a nice kidney surgeon came in and told my wife and I that I have kidney cancer. He showed us the kidney and I would suggest the tumour took up two thirds of the kidney . He has classed it as a T3 but says it has not spread anywhere else .I came across as relieved as I thought it had spread and it must of looked strange as me and the wife were looking so happy at my cancer diagnosis. I will be having the kidney out in a few weeks. On reflection I’m not sure how I feel . My appointment was 2 pm but my wife and I were out of the house by 10 just aimlessly driving to places we didn’t need to be just to kill time. I guess there will be a high chance of recorrence but for the moment should look at the positives . My wife has been a rock . 

• Hi Phil, it must have come as a shock to you and your wife. But at least you know what you are up against, and can get treatment to whip it out. The guy on the next bed to me in hospital last December had his kidney out. The day after the operation he was trying to sell me a take away curry from the curry boutique he owned. He was discharged with me 5 days later. Nice chap. 
    He was back in the take away in Feb cooking up the curries.

God bless your wife AKA the Rock, it makes all the difference.

Leo

• Haha thanks mate . Ye I feel ok today 

• Hi Phil, so pleased you have had your appointment and the awful waiting and guessing is over. I have been thinking of you and your wife all afternoon. Good news it hadn’t spread as you had convinced your self it had. I would have done the same. Even better news it will be out soon. All though I only had a partial nephrectomy with an extra operation the next day to stop internal bleeding. I was flying off the Mexico beginning of June! Operation end of Feb ! I was in hospital 5 days. Start packing your body to the max with super healthy foods to aid quick recovery. Try and relax a little now and enjoy reading all the positive reply’s from your friends on this forum. We all look out for each other. Angie x

• Hi Philw, thanks for sharing your news. Thankfully you are not in the worst case scenario and now you have a plan to fight the disease. Now it's time to take care of yourself and prepare you for surgery. You are very lucky to have the support of your wife. I wish you the best!

• Hi Philw

I know any cancer diagnosis is not good news, but it's great news that your cancer is confined within the kidney, and has not spread. I know you were expecting worse news, based on your previous posts,  so it is good that they are able to remove your kidney, and are planning to do this soon. Hopefully the cancer will not reoccur. I hope the meeting with the surgeon has settled your anxieties a little. Lots of people in this forum have been through kidney surgery, and will be able to answer any questions you may have.

I wish you all the best going forward!

Candysmum

• Nothing more to add from what has already been said, just to say it must be a relief for you that the diagnosis is not as bad as you feared after all the waiting. You have a plan going forward now and you can be assured that they will do the very best that they can for you.
    Maybe enjoy your favourite tipple tonight as you deserve it.

• Thankyou, it’s been a tough day but I feel better 

• Thankyou , your words are a help 

• Glad you now have some news and a plan. It’s a very weird feeling to be given such news but somehow glad when it’s more positive than you were expecting. I get it. Hope the surgery date comes through soon. Are they planning robotic laparoscopic? 

Hope the brain zoomies are easier this evening and you get a good nights sleep. 

• Aha yes I feel better today . No it’s open surgery , he did say why but I can’t remember !