Adjuvant Pembrolizumab (Pembro)

• 101 replies
  • 49 subscribers

My right kidney was removed 9 weeks ago.  It was grade 2 with intermediate risk.  A 25% risk of reoccurring within 5 years.   Have been offered Pembo immunotherapy starting on 18th Dec.  It will be  every 6 weeks treatment lasting 1 year.  
I am wondering is there anyone out there who has been on Pembo and how is it working out for them.

many thanks,

Sandysea

• Hi Artful, so happy for you that the 2nd treatment went better than expected. I like your tip about drinking more water and keeping warm.  Are you having to cope with tiredness.  I am still not sure what to do but what you say is true, they wouldn’t offer it if they didn’t think I would benefit from it. I really hope you keep well.  I’ll let you know how Monday goes. 
    Thanks for your support, Sandysea

• Be prepared for it to take a while both times I was there for over 3 hrs  . At my hospital  in essex there is a kitchen bit with kettle  and fridge  . I have soya milk in tea and coffee and they don't have so take some in a container  and put in the fridge. They have sandwiches in fridge to help yourself  too .    And fruit teas  , tea and coffee  I'm sure your hosp will  be similar  .    They do lots of checks on you , please try not to worry  to much .easier said than done I know .  All the best .

• Meant to add that they flush though first with saline solution then you have the pembrolizumab  then once that's finished another flush though of saline that's why it takes so long x . Today headache a lot better and eaten more as quezzy much less haven't be sick so haven't taken any of the sickness tablets they gave me . Had a bit of diahorria  this morning  but havnt taken any of the tablets they gave for that as was only the once . hope you too have only mild effects if any  and same  best wishes to everyone else having the treatments x

• How,did your treatment  go yesterday  sandysea  hope less traumatic  than you feared ? x

• Hi

Ive had 3 doses of Pembro, I had a kidney removed in July and the cancer was quite aggressive, after the first couple of doses I was fine and Im still ok after the third but I do have very itchy skin and scalp now so Im trying to see if they can give me something for that as the cream they have prescribed isnt really working. Other than that just tiredness so Im not too unhappy with the side effects

• Hi  yes  experiencing the same itching  now  after my  2nd treatment especially  at night   and scalp tender and I'm thinking  my hair is shredding  more  but maybe it's just because I'm  working  about it .   Took an antihistamines  yesterday  but was even more tired than usual  but didn't itch so much last night . What is your back story Syd  if you don't mind me asking 

• Hi Im 61 and they found the growth on one of my kidneys by accident, anyway I had it removed in early July and it turned out to be aggressive. As I said Ive had three doses of Pembro now and due another at the end of January. The doctor  had said just before I had the third dose that the itching would have a big increase. Ive been taking antihistamines as well, but as you say they increase the tiredness.

When do you have your third?

• My third is on Jan the 4th    .  As have 3 weekly . 

• Oh right, good luck with that, whats your story?

• If you click on the picture by my name  some detail are on there .