My mum possibly has IBC

FormerMember
FormerMember
  • 17 replies
  • 6 subscribers

My mum is 56 and since September has had a reddening on the left breast. It has grown and also the skin is pitted. She says it hurts too but more like premenstrual pain although she has been through the menopause.

long story short, she lives in Spain and didn’t tell me about it. The doctors there have told her they think it but are yet to perform any tests. Once I found out yesterday we booked her a flight home and a private mammogram for Tuesday. 

I’m really trying not to worry, but I am especially as she’s had this since September. Does anyone know if waiting that long means it’s been caught early or late ? ( if it is IBC ) 

thank you 

• Morning 

Sorry to see you joining us here and reading about your mums worrying symptoms :-/

Have you only a mammogram booked privately, or does that include an ultrasound scan as well.  Reason for asking is IBC (inflammatory) doesn't always show up on a mammogram.  There is also the possibility that 'if' something suspicious is found it will need a biopsy tissue sample for testing which can all end up being costly.

I don't know how long your mum has been living in Spain but if she is still registered with her GP it may be worth contacting them after any breast screening results come though.

If your fears are confirmed she will need to be fast tracked into the NHS system for treatment. As treatment for IBC will involve chemotherapy followed by surgery and probably radiotherapy as well.

Although her symptoms do flag further investigation to rule out IBC there are several other breast conditions that can cause similar symptoms, fingers crossed this is the case.

Naughty mum for keeping this a secret since September but it happens a lot, as this in her eyes IBC will cause a lot of upset and fuss while she wants to protect you from any possible bad news - Having said that she will be very apprehensive about what is happening and would have been scared of getting this checked out for fear of her thoughts being confirmed.

Although most types of BC are slow growing I won't sugar coat this as IBC can be aggressive so the sooner you both get answers the better. Fingers crossed this is something benign and the clouds lift.

There is a good chance she will get a better idea on the Tuesday but if any biopsies are needed it take a while longer to get those results through.

Hope this all works out well for you both, G n' J

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to Dreamthief

Thank you so much for replying. I seen how quiet the board was and  wasn’t expecting a reply so soon. So thank you! 

She spoke to the doctor on the phone yesterday and he’s aware of it possibly being IBC so I assume he will perform the tests he needs to to rule it out , or confirm. 

I am very angry with her for not telling us but totally appreciate why she didn’t want to worry us. I’m so glad we did find out though because it’s scary to think how much longer she might have waited. 

Between me and my brother we will pay for any necessary tests she needs. I need to look into getting her back into the NHS for treatment as she has residency in Spain now so I’m not sure how easy that will be. I will make some enquiries this morning so that we are ready should that need to happen. 

Praying it is something else. I will keep this board updated. 

Thank you again xxxx

• Hi

Yes this can be a bit of a quiet group as only 15% of breast cancers are Inflammatory - there are 3 other breast groups that the majority of BC ladies have joined.

We hope you won't need to but if this is diagnosed with your mum; do join the main breast group as well as the treatments are the same and it is the best place for breast cancer support and advice from those who understand coping with it all.

I wouldn't know where to start re NHS treatment and Spanish residency but if you struggle to get concise up to date information do use the Macmillan support line 0800 808 0000 and speak to one of the advisors - they are great with all the 'red tape' aspects. May be better after 8am Monday when there will be more advisors free.

Good Luck for Tuesday, G n' J Fingers crossed

• FormerMember

That’s great - thank you :) x

• Morning

Just wanted to wish your mum well for her screening appointment today Fingers crossed

Do let us know how you both got on ?

G n' J

• FormerMember

Thank you for checking up ! She’s had the mammogram and will hopefully have the results within the next few days. Obviously, if things are looking suspicious it will need to be a biopsy which we already have wheels on motion for you but shall update as we know. 

Thank you again, means a lot xx

• Morning

So now the nail biting begins :-/

Was an ultrasound scan (hopefully) carried out at the same time, or was this mammogram only ?

G n' J

• FormerMember

No, so because it’s private they have to do the mammogram first and then if they need to they said they will do a biopsy hopefully Saturday. Hoping we find out today so that we can book the appt. xx

• Hiya 

That is good to see, as I wouldn't fully trust just a mammogram to find Inflammatory as it's not always obvious.

Hope she didn't find the mammogram too painful :-/

Hug, G n' J

• FormerMember

Yes that’s what I’m worried about. I’m hoping they recommend it anyway.