My mum possibly has IBC

FormerMember
FormerMember
  • 17 replies
  • 6 subscribers

My mum is 56 and since September has had a reddening on the left breast. It has grown and also the skin is pitted. She says it hurts too but more like premenstrual pain although she has been through the menopause.

long story short, she lives in Spain and didn’t tell me about it. The doctors there have told her they think it but are yet to perform any tests. Once I found out yesterday we booked her a flight home and a private mammogram for Tuesday. 

I’m really trying not to worry, but I am especially as she’s had this since September. Does anyone know if waiting that long means it’s been caught early or late ? ( if it is IBC ) 

thank you 

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to Dreamthief

Hi, so mum managed to get an appt at the breast clinic at Spire this evening and had a biopsy done. She seen the consultant and he said that although she is displaying symptoms of IBC her lymph glands ( or is it nodes sorry not sure ) are not swollen and he would expect they would be if it was IBC. So I do feel relieved. He’s done an in-depth biopsy he said and results will be back Wednesday so fingers crossed all fine but it’s definitely looking more positive I think. 

Another thing, with it being an agressive cancer would you expect if she’s had it from September that she would feel unwell. As nurse mentioned this also, she actually is fine in herself. 

thank you xx

• Morning 

From what you have been told and the fact your mum is well in herself are good pointers to a less worrying outcome; lets hope this is indeed the case Thumbsup

Most types of BC are very slow growing with even with IBC this can be 3-6 months before symptoms are noticeable - If your mum has had symptoms for 6 months and they haven't got any worse since then fingers crossed whatever this is it is benign.

What we learned was to expect the unexpected - Although J had a different type of BC her only symptom was a slightly inverted nipple. Little did we know that that would lead to surgery, chemo, rads over 15 months then 5 years of tablets.  This whole thing just messes with your head until you get let off the hook.

Do things, go places, prepare for Christmas or chuck yourselves into a hobby - Anything that occupies your minds and kills the time until you get the results next week.  This will seem a long week, let's all hope for a happy ending.

Hugs, G n' J

• FormerMember

Hi again,

just wondering if it’s normal to have pain after a biopsy? My mums in quite a bit of pain and worrying about it. X

• Morning 

Having a core biopsy can be painful for at least a week, depending on if there any pain nerves near where the tissue was taken from. The hollow needles can be larger than they appear and the pain is a tad more severe that what you would get from just a cut.

This is uncomfortable but normal. As long as the pain doesn't get worse or the injection site doesn't get hot and red as this could be a sign of infection.

There is a similar discussion here you could read. If the pain is getting to her she can alternate between Paracetamol and Ibuprofen to get pain relief 2 hourly.

Still got those fingers crossed, good luck, G n' J

• FormerMember

Hi !! 

just wanted to update you. Mum went for her results today and all was fine - no cancer !!! Can’t tell you how relieved i am. Doctor said, possibly menopausal. 

just wanted to say a massive thank you to you G n’ J !!!! You’ve really helped this last week. Thank you !!! And all the best with your journey with this. I’m so sorry you’ve had to go through it. Xxx

• Hi

That is great news - You must both feel over the moon with this result....

Hope you both have a wonderful Christmas, now you have good reason to enjoy it Tada

Hugs, G n' J

• Hi Cas2905.. how are you and how is yoir mum doing?..

Tiga.