Petrified!

• 2 replies
  • 5 subscribers

I’m here in the middle of the night because I’m scared and I don’t know where else I can turn just now. Yesterday I suddenly felt a large lump in my right breast. It’s at the bottom and because I was leaning back I suddenly felt it. I hadn’t checked my boobs over the summer so I’m annoyed with myself. Now looking at the breast in the mirror the skin looks red where it is. I’ve been braless all day so as not to agitate it. I’m just so scared and thinking it could be inflammatory. I’m literally lying on the sofa waiting for my docs to open, but it’s the middle of the night and I’m alone with my thoughts. I feel sick

• Hello 

Sorry you didn't get a reply during the night, it's not a good place to be is it?  I hope now that you've managed to get an appointment with the doctors.

There's not a lot anyone can do to confirm or deny your diagnosis, but in all honesty I think you know it could be anything.  It could be an ingrowing hair for instance which is causing an inflammation. Of course it could always be cancer, but until you have seen your doctor / had biopsies etc then (easier said than done) try not to worry.  

Even if your doctor refers you to a breast clinic, it still doesn't mean that it is cancer, it's just that doctors are more 'on the ball' with referrals these days.  

The waiting for investigations really are the worst and IF and that's a big if, it does turn out to be cancer it isn't usually as bad as your fears.  So, deep breaths and take one stage at a time.  The breast clinic referral will be a wait too if you doctor submits you for further tests.

In the meantime, if you're awake and panicking in the middle of the night, there is a thread on the main breast cancer group called AWAKE where the ladies who are up in the middle of the night provide reassurance/ have a chat with each other.

Kindest wishes,

Community Champion Badge

• Thank you so much for your reply. The ‘awake’ club will help I’m sure x