Potential Inflammatory Breast Cancer

FormerMember
FormerMember
  • 26 replies
  • 4 subscribers

Hello there

I recently posted my concerns that I may have IBC.

I have seen numerous GP''s since November when I reported severe breast and armpit pain.  A registrar diagnosed me with Costocondritis. 

A rash keeps coming and going on right breast.

Tonight before washing for bed I thought I would check myself again. To my horror I seem to have what appears to be a huge insect bite, aggressive red that looks as tho it may erupt by the morning. I have NEVER in my life had anything like this not even when my beautiful children were babies.

Because the pain was severe and ongoing the registrar at my GP practice wanted to refer me to the Breast Clinic for an ultrasound because I was very tender indeed. However,  she changed her mind after consulting with another GP at the practice and the referral was not made.

I have also heard it on good authority that a Consultant at Breast Clinic in Inverness in the beautiful Scottish Highlands has made an executive decision not to take referrals for women complaining of severe pain.  I heard that he tried to turn a lady away after her waiting for some time for the referral and told her in his infinite wisdom that pain is not characteristic of Breast Cancer. She however, stood her ground and demanded her appointment be honoured. She was subsequently diagnosed with Breast Cancer.

To say I am now stressed this evening is an understatement. I have never had such an aggressive looking mark on my breast, ever. 

I am undecided if I should attend A and E or wait until Monday to see my GP.

I intrinsically knew in November that something was wrong. One GP even blamed my breast and armpit pain on my posture because I have a spinal condition. I have lived with spinal pain for 14 years after having had surgery and not once had associated breast pain.

A few comforting words would be appreciated right now x

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to FormerMember

Morning from the Scottish Highlands.

I have just had a full spinal MRI and another chest x-ray.

I  am still in awful pain in both breasts and discovered I also have a broken collarbone when I had a chest xray on 30th November 2018.

GP is still saying breast pain related to my spinal pain and an accident I had 15 years ago. I have only had breast pain for a year and two months. It travels thro to my shoulder blades too.

Currently on slow release morphine and anti-sickness for the pain and been referred to chronic pain management clinic.

I have just signed up to be a volunteer with Macmillan in Scottish Highlands.  Trying to keep positive by helping others where my health permits.

What are your symptoms and more important is your GP really listening? Hugs xxxxxx

• FormerMember

So basically, last year I had breast pain in one area of my right breast. I had an ultrasound which was normal. I did have a breast lump in the opposite breast which I only found out through ultrasound. They did a biopsy and it was benign. This was in July. 

I moved on from it as I was reassured at what they had said.

I fell pregnant in September and both breasts hurt. 

In December the breast pain subsided and I was left with the pain the the right breast again.

I didn’t worry too much until a rash appeared in the same area. This was last week.

i went to the doctor he said shingles? It looks nothing like shingles. It is a red mark with a certain shape to it. There is no itching. There is a “spot” in that area. Which worries me incase it’s like an ulcer? 

I contacted a local private hospital and I see them this afternoon in the breast clinic. So scared and worried. I can’t go through the waiting of the biopsy’s like last time Disappointed

• FormerMember

I'm so so sorry to hear of your distress Persevere

I'm a mother so it's an added stress to have young children and keep oneself healthy. 

I too am waiting for results from MRI scan which I hope will reveal where breast and shoulder blade pain coming from.

I do feel sorry for NHS because it's so stretched but I also feel it's ourselves that have to progress appointment's etc to keep well for our bunnies. 

Please let me know how you get on this afternoon x

Macmillan also have an advice line with a beautiful nurse at other end if your really needing it.

On the upside, all this fright I have had and a friend battling cancer has propelled me into doing the Macmillan Coffee morning last year and I'm about to start as a volunteer too for them. With my health being as it is its kept me focused and positive doing little projects for others. My top tip.

Take a hug and hope you get that all important good news that all is well. You also need to rest as much as you can being pregnant.

BlushSparkling heart

• FormerMember

Hi-

i  went to my private appointment today. I saw a breast consultant who said he was not alarmed by the rash. He said it doesn’t look like inflammatory breast cancer rash. He asked if I wanted an ultrasound, but he was sure it’s just unknown breast pain with a fungal infection, I said yes anyway. Ultrasound shows nothing. I feel a bit more reassured. I know it is sometimes misdiagnosed as being ok, then turns out to be IbC. But for now I have to take the experts advice and believe that it will go away eventually. Xxx

• FormerMember

Evening 

Bless you. Been there with the stress and worry.

So glad he gave you the all clear.

I had a mark too that eventually went away however I have had breast pain for over a year now and no scan. I'm hoping my MRI will show something to identify where pain coming from.

Rest easy now and enjoy your pregnancy. It will probably take a few weeks to unwind after your scare. 

Keep warm and busy throughout rest of winter. 

Hugs x

• This thread is being marked for retention by the moderator, as some members are still finding this useful.