How did you feel after your last chemo

• 3 replies
  • 9 subscribers

i feel like I’m in limbo, strange feeling waiting for my PET scan on Monday and results on 11th to see if the cancer is gone.my life has been so full on with hospitals, appointments, feeling shit etc and now….. nothing. Anyone else have this 

• I had NHL not Hodgkin.  On the actual day of my last chemo, I felt surprisingly emotional. In the following weeks, adjusting to life without the structure of the medical routine felt strange (even though I was diagnosed with a second cancer soon after my PET).

• Like , I also have NHL, unfortunately my type is incurable, rare and complicated to treat. I have been on my adventure for over 23 years now (see my profile).

I have had lots of different levels of treatment as I relapsed multiple times…… but I am now 5 years 10 months into this remission and doing great….. up until Sep 2016 my longest remission had been about 9 months.

I say this as an encouragement, hard to believe but the type of Lymphoma you have and the treatments available mean it is very treatable, most folks find the first line treatment does the job and they get back to some form of normality…… yes it’s all hard work but it is all about the greater good in all this.

I have lost count of the times i have been waiting for scan results…… basically you are a passenger at the moment and this period of time can be mentally challenging but you can throw all the stress and frustration in the world at this - but it will make no difference to outcomes…. all it dies is make you more frustrated.

Lets look for a good result and you can get to move on but for some living on can be hard. You may find it helpful to make a cuppa and have a look at this great paper After Treatment Finishes - Then What? by Dr Peter Harvey as it highlights the post treatment milestones.

Mike (Thehighlander)

It always seems impossible until its done - Nelson Mandela

Community Champion Badge

• Hi Michie, I  to,am in the same situation as you, my last chemo was July16,and the routine of the treatments,blood tests,PCR tests, became the norm for me.I have had a MRI,and CT scan,trouble now is the waiting for the results,but the routine you built  up became my normality,where do you go when the norm,is no  longer?.I have found that keeping in touch with close friends,,even my neighbours,old work colleagues to have been very helpful,as I could just unburden myself,and feel at ease doing so.Do you have any hobbies that you have neglected for a while,if so,try to rekindle your interest,I did by listening to my LP record collection,not everyone’s cup of tea,but it helped me. I have also started walking,not to far,just around the block,it helps clear my mind when I feel down.

All the best to you

kaitak,….aka Richard