Hodgkins lymphoma

• 4 replies
  • 7 subscribers

Hi, I was diagnosed with hodgkins lymphoma yesterday. I noticed a small spot on my neck around Christmas time and thought nothing of it then it just got bigger and thought it's a cyst and eventually went to see my gp. I'm not really sure what to expect next

• Hi  and a warm welcome to this corner of the Community although I am always sorry to see folks joining us. I am Mike and I help out around our various Lymphoma groups.

I don’t have Hodgkin's Lymphoma (HL) but I was diagnosed back in 1999 with a rare, incurable type of NHL Stage 4a so although my Lymphoma ‘type’ is different I understand the challenges of this journey well.

On the whole HL is very treatable with good results. There have been a few new members post in the group over the past week so do have a look at the other posts and see what they are saying (hit the group heading and you will see all the posts listed)

What have you been told with regards treatment?

Mike (Thehighlander)

It always seems impossible until its done - Nelson Mandela

Community Champion Badge

• Was just told be more than likely chemo. I was under ear, nose and throat and getting referred to the correct team to start treatment. First I have to get another xt scan to see if it has spread to my stomach or groin area

• The CT or PET scan will indeed check you over  identify all presentation areas and this will give you a staging. Staging is used to identify the best treatment and for how long.

Unlike in solid tumour cancers like Breast, Lung , Kidney etc where the higher the staging the poorer the prognosis……. Not in Lymphoma, the staging is used for completely different purpose….. I was stage 4a back in late 2013 and I am still here doing great.

You need to understand what is going on clearly so this like will help you get the best out of your appointments…..Questions to ask your medical team about Lymphoma

There are different levels of treatment so until your team have all the information together the exact chemo would be a guess….. yes the treatment can be hard work but do-able with great results.

Just ask your questions and we will do our best to help you out.

Mike (Thehighlander)

It always seems impossible until its done - Nelson Mandela

Community Champion Badge

• HHello, Pete here -

I  have been treated for HL since 2019 and I'm still here. The best advice I can give is to trust the team supporting/treating you. They are on your side. And may the treatment be gentle and the outcome positive.