Unnecessary worry?

• 3 replies
  • 23 subscribers

Hi all. New here.

I'm still in active treatment for breast cancer. Big stuff done and last CT was OK.

Last 4 weeks the back of my neck has become consistently itchy. No rash or dry skin. Itches all day and all night.

I know I'm in that stage where every little thing might be a secondary cancer - but really wanted to check in here to see what folks think.

Thanks so much, Christine

• Hi Christine  and a warm welcome across to this corner of the Community although sorry to hear about your BC journey and your concerns about the itching. 

I am Mike and I help out around our various Lymphoma groups. 

For some context I was diagnosed way back in 1999 at 43 with a rare (8 in a million) incurable but treatable type of Cutaneous T-Cell NHL (a type of slow growing skin Low-grade non-Hodgkin lymphoma) ……. eventually reaching Stage 4a in late 2013 when a second, also rare (4 in a million) type of aggressive Peripheral T-Cell - Not Otherwise Specified NHL (a type of fast growing High-grade non-Hodgkin lymphoma) was then presenting so I most definitely appreciate the challenges of this journey rather well.

Itching is certainly one of the symptoms of Lymphoma (there are over 60 types) but this is more than often accompanied by some of the other Symptoms……. and Lymphoma would not necessarily be seen as a secondary cancer…… but more a second cancer.

Obviously the best people to talk this through with is your clinical team or your CNS…… I know many people who have been through Big Stuff treatments for various solid tumour cancers and go on to develop skin conditions……. Treatment plays with our bodies chemical balance and this can result in ‘other stuff’ happening.

((Hugs)) 

Mike (Thehighlander)

It always seems impossible until its done - Nelson Mandela

Community Champion Badge

• Thanks Mike. Appreciate the quick reply. I'll definitely speak with my GP or my team. Think I'm just worried it's a time waste for them! But will reach out...

• There is no time wasting when you are in or post treatment……

The body reacts in many ways to the evil treatments that are put into our bodies.

Call this in and let the experts rule on it……. from my 25 years experience medical professional would far rather check something out early and rule anything out quickly then hear of something late and fight fires ((hugs))

Mike (Thehighlander)

It always seems impossible until its done - Nelson Mandela

Community Champion Badge