Some concerns after treatment and waiting for scans

• 3 replies
  • 20 subscribers

Hi everyone again,

As mentioned previously my 16 year old daughter was diagnosed with Hodgkins Lymphoma in December 2023 (Stage 2). She completed 4 months of OEPA and COPDAC this month and we now have to wait until June for the next scans.

The mid term scan were good and showed a metabolic change which is what our oncologist wanted to see. It was confirmed that 4 months of treatment was required and no radiotherapy.

Since the treatment has ended my daughter has struggled with energy levels but tonight she has noted a red patch above her eye. She also still has the lump under her arm.

I know I have to wait for the scans butt I am freaking out with these new symptoms.

• Hi again  oh the post treatment challenges.

The first thing you do is call this (and anything new) into her team and let them decide if there are any problems.

She is ‘only’ a month or so out from treatment so her body is still in recovery….. did you see any of the London Marathon?….

My consultants said that going through treatments like these was like doing a London Marathon every day for all those months and it was done without training…. no wonder she is still struggling with her energy levels….. recovery takes time and will often be far longer than you would like.

The red patch above her eye could be anything….. she is still a growing teenager so her body will still do teenage things.

Call this in and get this off your chest.

Mike (Thehighlander)

It always seems impossible until its done - Nelson Mandela

Community Champion Badge

• Thank you, I am one of life’s worriers and a very over protective Dad so this is not a great scenario for me to be in.

• Been there with our 2 daughters and continue to be with our 4 granddaughters.

Your daughter has just started round 3 of her journey (Round 1 was her diagnosis and round 2 was her treatment)…… some folks, especially parents and family find the 3rd round very challenging as ‘every’ lump, bump, infection, pain…… directs you down the relapse rabbit trail.

It’s all about controlling the noise between the ears…. As I said you don’t make assumptions - in the early days you check things out with her team….. doing this helps reduce the stress quickly and gives you a lots of reference points.

You may find it helpful to make a cuppa and have a look at this great paper After Treatment Finishes - Then What? by Dr Peter Harvey as it highlights the post treatment milestones that your daughter will look to achieve.

Mike (Thehighlander)

It always seems impossible until its done - Nelson Mandela

Community Champion Badge