Hematology

• 11 replies
  • 7 subscribers

Hi there , I’ve been lurking on this site for a few months now, I belong to the bladder cancer site (me) and my husband kidney cancer site, he had his kidney out 4 years ago, CT scan every year, this one (July) showed enlarged lymph nodes that I think was there on his other scans. He’s had a PET scan also a biopsy on his groin lymph node, he’s just gone for a Gastroscpy as well. Also just had a phone call for us to go to hospital on Tue to see a Hematology doctor, is the the person you would see for Lymphoma and Leukemia? I kinda know something wrong even though he has no symptoms what so ever so thinking it’s a good job he’s been having CT scans.

Is it always chemo they give you and when they say a cycle is that just one chemo or a set of them and the same with radiotherapy. He didn’t have to have any of that after he had his kidney out. 
I’ve read a lot of your posts over the months and they’ve been very helpful, I hope I’m jumping the gun joining this group and maybe I should have waited till Tue but it’s a long time till then. how are you  also  how is your husband. Sending good luck to you all and thanks for been there x

• Hi  and sorry to see you joining this corner of the Community. From reading your post and your profile you and your husband have had some journey.

First I will say at the very start that there are other 'blood disorders' other than Lymphomas, Leukemias and Myelomas....... that Hematologists cover so until he is actually given a 'blood cancer' diagnosis this is all guess work.

If it does turn out to be Lymphoma, Leukemia or Myeloma there are many types so this group may not be the correct one........ for instance there are actually over 60 types and subtypes of Lymphoma alone!!!!!....... but we can deal with that later on.

Basically a blood cancer can't be cut out (apart from where it is presenting in an area that is left threatening) so yes the main Treatmentare one or a few from Chemotherapy, Radiotherapy, Immunotherapy, Stem Cell Transplant and a few others....... if you look at (my story) it will give you taste as to how things can pan out but my journey was very extreme and not many people would navigate this.

Chemotherapy Treatment is a selection of different drugs that are given over a a day or a few days then the rest of the 3 weeks cycle is rest then it starts again for say 6 cycles.

Radiotherapy is a targeted therapy that is used to break down a growth areas.

To prepare for your upcoming Hematologist appointment you may want to have a look at this link Questions to ask your medical team about Lymphoma as it can help you set out some questions you want to ask.

Let's hope that this is something that can be dealt with quickly and easily but we are here to help out as best as we can ((hugs))

Mike (Thehighlander)

It always seems impossible until its done - Nelson Mandela

Community Champion Badge

• Thank you so much, it’s lovely to know you’re always here.

Well he went for his gastroscope but they didn’t do it, they said they looked on his PET scan and could see nothing of concern and didn’t want to put him through it for no reason, so writing to the surgeon to say why but if surgeon wants it they’ll do it. He also said about the lymph nodes that  they wasnt so bad, my husband could of mis heard him as he’s a bit hard of hearing. But I feel a bit better now after hearing from you and they couldn’t see anything of concern on his PET scan. 
    I’ll be back on Tuesday and thank you so very much Mick Xx

Sue Xx
  • Oh Sue it’s all a rollercoaster, but let’s keep the nerve and see how this pans out ((hugs))

Mike (Thehighlander)

Community Champion Badge

1. Really scared this morning, had another phone call yesterday we also have to go to urology this morning then on to hematology, just want it all to be over. Xx
    Sue Xx
  • Sue the one thing you will come to realise that in Lymphoma diagnosis it’s not a straightforward process. Over the years I was seen by a few different departments as part of the process - supportive ((hugs)) sent xx

Mike (Thehighlander)

Community Champion Badge

• Thanks Mike, it’s all a learning curve, I’d got my head around Bladder and Kidney cancer now a new one to deal with maybe but lovely you’re here, thanks x

Sue Xx
  • Do get beck to us Sue once you have had the appointment. Try and ‘take in’ as much as you can, find out if he will be assigned a CNS and if so get their bane and contact details and once your appointment is finished go sit and have a cuppa and talk through everything that has been said as this helps ground the information ((hugs))

Mike (Thehighlander)

Community Champion Badge

• Thank you very much   the Lymphnoma turns out to be Non Hodgkin Follicular, was told it’s a slow growing one, if only a few lymph nodes involved he would have radiotherapy, if more than they just leave it, that was hard trying to understand that but apparently it isn’t curable and as I said slow growing, been as my husband 80 next year I’ll go with that. He had a load of blood taken and going to have a lumber punch so like you said a load of tests.

Urology went well no spread from Kidney but they still want him to have the gastroscope.

Thanks again you’ve been a great help in my time of need, I’ll look on the Follicular site Xx

Sue Xx
  • Hi Sue, my type of NHL is also a Low Grade so I understand this journey well.

Do join the Follicular lymphoma group and introduce yourself and I will pick up your post there.

Mike (Thehighlander)

Community Champion Badge

• Had my biopsy, just waiting for results can’t sleep