Long awaited good news

• 8 replies
  • 38 subscribers

We finally heard today that my husband's treatment has been successful, which is the words that everyone just wants to hear.  He got the call to confirm his treatment had been successful with no evidence of cancer in the areas treated, however a hotspot showing on his liver.  A long 13 day wait until he had his ultrasound today which confirmed that his liver was clear!  Lots of emotions flowing today as it sometimes seemed that this day may never come.

I can't imagine going through this without the support of everyone on here...the help and advice is invaluable.  I wanted to say thank you to everyone who replied and reassured me in the darker times, and to Dani who I turned to when we knew of a hotspot on the liver and was able to provide much needed reassurance and support.

I know how important it was when we first started out on this road in January, finding this forum and reading the many positive posts that were shared and the reassuring statistics of cure rates.  The treatment is so tough.  However, we were very fortunate in that my husband was asked if he wanted to take part in a new mouthwash trial which is aiming to prevent mouth ulceration.    This trial involved swilling around his mouth a solution of adrenaline just before he went in for his radiotherapy.  He found it unpleasant towards the end, however he did not have any mouth ulcers at all which seems to be the worst part of treatment.  Our niece is a dietician for head and neck cancer patients in Preston and she had never heard of this trial, neither had any of her colleagues.  We were told that they did not know how it would impact the results of the treatment and it is still early stages in the trial.  I don't know how the others in the trial got on, however I do hope that it proves successful and can potentially be rolled out in the future to make the treatment slightly more bearable.  

I am a natural born worrier and I know that it will take some time before we can begin to perhaps put this to the back of our minds....however, life does seem brighter now and we can hopefully start planning and enjoying the little things again.  xx 

• This is just the best news. 
    Thanks for letting us all know. 
    Best foot forward to Christmas. 
    Hugs 

Dani 

Base of tongue cancer. T2N0M0 6 weeks Radiotherapy finished January 2019

I wrote a blog about my cancer. just click on the link below 

https://todaymycoffeetasteslikechristmasincostarica.com 

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm

Community Champion badge
  • Hi brill news for others who will follow in our footsteps. Yes I’ve heard of the trial it’s in its early stages at minute if I find out anything I’ll let you know. For now stop worrying snd enjoy the news. As time goes by you’ll worry less I’m one of the lucky ones I never worrief once I met my oncologist. Up to that point I was a worrier. . But we are all different hugs to both of you 

ivd just looked the trial is a  short one r  the solution was called ng11-2 adrenaline  based mouthwash   

can’t get the link to post but if I hear anything I’ll pop a post on 

Hazel x

Hazel aka RadioactiveRaz 

My blog is www.radioactiveraz.wordpress.com  HPV 16+ tonsil cancer Now  6 years  post treatment. 35 radiotherapy 2 chemo T2N2NM.Happily getting on with living always happy to help

• Thanks Hazel. It will be interesting to see how it progresses…would be great to see it being rolled out if they are happy with all the results xx

• es I’ve heard of the trial it’s in its early stages at minute if I find out anything I’ll let you know.
    ivd just looked the trial is a  short one

Its a phase 1 trial so all they are looking at is a safe therapeutic dose. 
    Once they have that they will proceed to a phase 2 which measures the effect of that therapeutic dose which us where you get some patients on a placebo and some on the real thing. 

Dani 

Community Champion badge
  • Hi Dani

The Bethie1 trial sounds very promising. It would have made my radiotherapy much more bearable if I had not got so many ulcers in my mouth. Fingers crossed it goes on to be really successful and can be rolled out to everyone who is having radiotherapy to the mouth. I must ask my oncologist if he has heard of it.

Lyn

x

Sophie66

• I must ask my oncologist if he has heard of it.

Info here

Mouthwash Trial

The Phase 1 trial has stopped recruiting but hopefully there will be a phase 2

Dani 

Community Champion badge