Update

• 8 replies
  • 36 subscribers

I just wanted to update on my treatment since my cancer diagnosis on my tongue.  It was all started when I had a surgery to remove dysplasia on the left side of my tongue.  I had several consultations with my oral medicine team as well as surgeon before they decided to surgically remove the area as it was moderate dysplasia and could turn to cancer.  They were very surprised to find cancer cell in the removed area. It was still very small but my surgeon wanted to make sure there was clear margin so I had another surgery to remove the surrounding.  CT and MRI were all clear and no further treatment was recommended.  I will have consultation with the surgeon and oral medicine team every month and neck ultrasound every 3 months for one year.

I was feeling relieved just after the surgery but now I am worrying about recurrence constantly.  I guess it is normal for people who have suffered cancer and the worry will always in our mind and never goes away......

• Thanks for the update. 
    Good news that you have avoided further treatment 

I was feeling relieved just after the surgery but now I am worrying about recurrence constantly.  I guess it is normal for people who have suffered cancer and the worry will always in our mind and never goes away......

It does get better. 
    My neighbour had the same as you, same surgery and is now four years clear. 

Dani 

Base of tongue cancer. T2N0M0 6 weeks Radiotherapy finished January 2019

I wrote a blog about my cancer. just click on the link below 

https://todaymycoffeetasteslikechristmasincostarica.com 

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm

Community Champion badge
  • Hi Dani

Thank you very much for your reply and it is good to hear that it will get better.  It is difficult to talk about such concerns with my family and friends and it becomes fairly lonely sometimes. I can share my honest feelings so openly in this community because everybody understands what you are going through.

Takako aka Ultraman

• We all listen to each other. This is a safe space so you can share anything here. 
    Have a read if this essay on recovering from cancer. It really helps 

https://www.workingwithcancer.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2013/03/After-the-treatment-finishes-then-what.pdf

Dani 

Community Champion badge
  • I have had surgery like yours and the part tongue removed and happyly clear margin, and no further treatment was given apart from reviews by consultant.

The joy was immense and then some weeks later the ifs and buts came along, every ache and pain magnified - and yes they are still there.

I think it will possibly be there with us and I think if everyone is honest they too feel this, however you and I have to look at the  positves and say we are clear and we have been dealt a very good card.

I can asssure you there are days when you really forget and what you have gone through seems far away, I was told to be diligent and the first few months I would look in my mouth daily, then I told myself I would only do it once a week. Now I have to remind myself so it realy does lessen.

Take care and this really is the best place to come if you need place to unload.

• Hi Lanclassie

Thank you very much for your message.

I am checking my tongue and mouth few times a day thinking I might find something else. 

It is really useful to hear from the people who have gone through the same or similar experience.  

I am so glad that I have joined this community.

Takako

• Hi Dani

Thank you very much for the essay and yes, it helps me enormously.

Takako

• Hi Dani

I’m terribly nosey so I looked up Takako and Ultraman and I am intrigued 

Dani 

Community Champion badge
  • You are most welcome

Take care