Tongue feels a little numb

• 2 replies
  • 35 subscribers

Hi All

Im now 3 weeks post radiotherapy treatment and I think my recovery is going ok (ish). The one really frustrating problem is the fact I can't taste food. Or if I can, the taste isn't right, or it's too strong. My tongue on the tip feels as though it's numb, like it has a cover on it and I think this is connected to my taste issue.

Has anyone else experienced something similar?

I know 3 weeks isn't long in recovery but I get really hungry, Fortisips through a PEG just aren't the same as real food!!!!

• Has anyone else experienced something similar?

Yes  

it’s really par for the course. I managed a steak at 12 weeks and it tasted of nothing at all. It does come back slowly and there are days when it goes backwards. At this time food is fuel and if you can get it down swallow it. 
    Dont be disheartened. It does get better 

Dani 

Base of tongue cancer. T2N0M0 6 weeks Radiotherapy finished January 2019

I wrote a blog about my cancer. just click on the link below 

https://todaymycoffeetasteslikechristmasincostarica.com 

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm

Community Champion badge
  • It is part of the side effects of the radiotherapy unfortunately. During my treatment even water tasted horrible.  Your taste buds will progressively come back but at the moment try to think of the Fortisips as the fuel your body needs to recover. After my treatment I tried to re introduce food progressively (once all my mouth ulcers had gone) and when it did not taste great, I tried again a few weeks later. A real victory when scrambled eggs tasted like eggs again and not cardboard! You will get there and you will enjoy eating again and you will be able to navigate your way around the food you can tolerate and tastes good too. 

Best wishes.

Fab1