Is Duraphat now off prescription?

• 20 replies
  • 43 subscribers

Hello lovely people.

Been getting Duraphat on GP prescription for maybe 3 years now. BoT Oropharynx,  concurrent chemo radiation full gamut. Subsequent minimal saliva. You know the score. 

Today however my repeat request was refused. Some reference to it being a recent health board directive. 

Anyone relate? It is still NICE approved for my circumstances I believe. My teeth are rapidly disintegrating. 

Pray

• Hi Ffi

My daughter whose teeth are also crumbling gets her Duraphat prescription from her dentist if that is any help?

All best wishes

Puti

• Hi Puti, thank you for your reply.

My dentist issued me with the initial one and advised that he couldn't supply any subsequent as It was my GP who should supply and for me to ask for a prescription. 

Ill have to write to them both for an explanation of the changes. Was just wondering if anyone else had any insight. 

Thanks again. x

• Ffi, thank you for your reply - wishing you all the best

puti

• Have a look at THIS THREAD

In there you will find a post from me detailing the situation in one particular trust which SHOULD but DOESN'T apply everywhere but nevertheless you could try showing that to your GP.

Contact your CNS or bring it up at your next review and ask the hospital writes to your GP

If you have an NHS dentist they might prescribe but sometimes they refer you back to the GP. A private dentist certainly will oblige but it will cost you. It's an appalling situation.

One tube lasts me well over a month so I am building up a stock for when the same thing happens to me. Shocking!

Dani 

Base of tongue cancer. T2N0M0 6 weeks Radiotherapy finished January 2019

I wrote a blog about my cancer. just click on the link below 

https://todaymycoffeetasteslikechristmasincostarica.com 

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm

Community Champion badge
  • Hi my dentist prescribes mine.  I got 4 tubes init last week I’m in West Yorkshire. My gp has never given it.  Worth trying your dentist ? If you get no joy let me know please. I’ve a few contacts I can  ask ? 

Hazel 

Hazel aka RadioactiveRaz 

My blog is www.radioactiveraz.wordpress.com  HPV 16+ tonsil cancer Now  6 years  post treatment. 35 radiotherapy 2 chemo T2N2NM.Happily getting on with living always happy to help

• no problem getting it from my dentist.. GP spits dummy out, and tells me to go to dentist.. so, no problems ATM.. just the inconvenience of having to wait for the prescription to arrive through the post.. long story.. 

Loz (61)

Oropharyngeal right tongue base T2N2bM0 squamous cell carcinoma p16 positive.. 

• Hello

My GP is still prescribing Duraphat….or the generic  equivalent which I prefer …without any fuss.  
    Liz

• My GP will not give me Duraphat, they say I have to get it from my dentist. I no longer have an NHS dentist. Can a private dentist give me an NHS prescription.

Ray.

• Can a private dentist give me an NHS prescription.

Not a NHS one. You will have to pay for it. 

Dani 

Base of tongue cancer. T2N0M0 6 weeks Radiotherapy finished January 2019

I wrote a blog about my cancer. just click on the link below 

https://todaymycoffeetasteslikechristmasincostarica.com 

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm

Community Champion badge
  • Thanks Dani, I thought that as the case.