Voice change

• 6 replies
  • 38 subscribers
  • Hi guys, I finished my treatment exactly 3 years ago today. I'm doing gr
  • eat, I feel well, am eating and drinking most things without problems even if food still tastes strange andI do still suffer from lack of saliva.
  • Over the last two months I've noticed a change in my voice. It's become very hoarse and croaky although I don't have a sore throat. I had an appointment with my consultant last week who confirmed that my vocal chords are irritated, probably due to the dryness in my mouth and throat. He suggested that I try not to clear my throat (easier said than done) and to take regular sips of water. I suppose what I want to know is has anyone else experienced this so long after treatment and if so did it get better or am I destined to sound like a darlek under water for ever?? 
  • Hi

I finished treatment over a year ago, now when I talk too much for too long I become hoarse, I have a Difflam spray and regularly hydrate which seems to help.

Peter

• Hi Cupcake

The voice change does sound annoying. Same as Peter I find that if I talk too much my mouth dries out and I sometimes start to cough. I find sips of water help then. Also have found that Biotene or Oral7 mouth gel for dry mouth helps. The whole sound of my voice changed after my last op (maxillectomy for jaw cancer) and I sound very nasal now but not exactly a Darlek under water but similar. Hopefully your voice change will settle down.

Lyn

Sophie66

• Hi around the same time 3 years post treatment on one of my scopes a benign cyst was found in a vocal cord told. Who knew our vocal cords had folds !  My voice isn’t quite the same although others say it is. After long discussions we decided to leave the cyst as to operate could cause more damage. I just make sure I’m hydrated use bioxtra mouthwash which is a mild alcohol red one. I don’t drink tea or alc which helps but I still have 2 coffees a day. I chew sugar feee him and keep hydrated. 
    the mouthwash is on prescription. 

Hazel 

Hazel aka RadioactiveRaz 

My blog is www.radioactiveraz.wordpress.com  HPV 16+ tonsil cancer Now  6 years  post treatment. 35 radiotherapy 2 chemo T2N2NM.Happily getting on with living always happy to help

• Thanks Hazel, my consultant looked at my vocal chords last week and everything was fine but my voice is getting worse day by day. Think I'll need to try some of these mouthwashes and sprays people have been recommending.