Update on treatment so far.

• 40 replies
  • 42 subscribers
2024-08-30 - Had my left tonsil removed in day surgery yesterday 29th August 2024.  Projectile vomited three times whilst in post-op, BP high 192/93, so was there for about five hours.  They told me I had to eat something before I could be discharged and they gave me a yoghurt and a jelly.  Hubby collected me at around 17:30 (he had been waiting in reception from 12:00 as they told him I wouldn't be any longer than two hours (bless him.) 
They told me that I should eat something every two hours, not too soft, when I got home I felt nauseous again, so more projectile vomiting another three or four times (I lost count) which meant I lost the yoghurt and the jelly.  I didn't feel much like eating, but I managed to eat some scrambled eggs with cheese in for tea.  About 10 or 15 minutes later, I lost that and half a cup of lukewarm chocolate hubby had made me. 
I was told to sleep sitting up and as I don't like sleeping sitting up I had a very disturbed night.  Today, I have managed to keep down a bowl of porridge with honey in it for breakfast and some bread and cheese for lunch.  So far so good.  Friday, fish for tea!
I have to see my surgeon again next Thursday 5th September 2024 to discuss further treatment, there was talk of more surgery for my left lymph node or radio/chemo, but he seems to be leaning towards surgery more.  I will go with whatever he decides is best.  I will update again when I have spoken with him.
  • General anaesthesia and opiate analgesics too can make you feel sick. Get well soonest. 
    Best of luck for the neck dissection if that’s what is decided. 
    Fingers crossed you don’t need RT. 

Dani 

Base of tongue cancer. T2N0M0 6 weeks Radiotherapy finished January 2019

I wrote a blog about my cancer. just click on the link below 

https://todaymycoffeetasteslikechristmasincostarica.com 

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm

Community Champion badge
  • General anaesthesia and opiate analgesics too can make you feel sick

indeed.. reminds me of my base of tongue biopsy.. threw up several times.. thank god I managed to keep it under control in the taxi ride home.

Loz (61)

Oropharyngeal right tongue base T2N2bM0 squamous cell carcinoma p16 positive.. 

• Hi Dani, yes, I have stopped the Oromorph and only take it if I absolutely need it.  I was told to take it  4 times a day for a duration of 7 days, so far I have managed to keep it to twice since I've come home and I am looking to stop it tomorrow (that will be two days on it) I don't want to become dependant.  I have been taking the Paracetamol and Ibuprofen they prescribed me and that has been OK, also the 'special mouthwash/gargle' they gave me.

Yes, I have everything crossed that I won't need radio/chemotherapy.  I will update again after Thursday when I find out what he wants to do next.

Take care.

Hazel x

• Me too, I did take one of the cardboard 'hats' with me though, just in case! Wink

• yes, same here... had to use one of mine on the way out and dispose of it before I got in the taxi.. 

Loz (61)

Oropharyngeal right tongue base T2N2bM0 squamous cell carcinoma p16 positive.. 

• I am looking to stop it tomorrow (that will be two days on it) I don't want to become dependant.

That doesn’t happen if you are using it to control pain

Dani 

Base of tongue cancer. T2N0M0 6 weeks Radiotherapy finished January 2019

I wrote a blog about my cancer. just click on the link below 

https://todaymycoffeetasteslikechristmasincostarica.com 

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm

Community Champion badge
  • Hi Has Dani says yiu don’t become dependent on it when controlling pain , if yiuve had a tonsillectomy the pain may ramp up around day 4 just be aware. Many of us were in oramorph for weeks I was around 13 weeks did a phased withdrawal and never had any issues so please be aware pain is real .

best wishes for Thursday if he decides chemo radiotherapy we’re all here to help. 

Hazel 

Hazel aka RadioactiveRaz 

My blog is www.radioactiveraz.wordpress.com  HPV 16+ tonsil cancer Now  6 years  post treatment. 35 radiotherapy 2 chemo T2N2NM.Happily getting on with living always happy to help

• Bless You, it's horrible isn't it x

• Thanks Dani, that's good to know. x

• Thanks for the advice, good to know you were on it for weeks without problems at the end. x