Reaction to toothpaste?

• 27 replies
  • 41 subscribers

Hello 

Things were going well 8 months post treatment…but I seem to have hit a buffer in that suddenly my tongue, mouth and gums flared up quite ferociously.  Seriously not comfortable.  I suspected the Duraphat which I had been told both to brush with 3 times a day and use in dental trays and which I understand has form in this area.  I stopped using the stuff ( using some sensodyne which I used to use pre treatment) and a couple of days later things in my mouth are starting to settle. Unfortunately my sense of taste, which was returning nicely has taken a number of steps backwards and I’m almost back to the ‘everything tastes of cardboard’ of the immediate aftermath of treatment.  Sigh!

Is this normal?  Does it take an age to resolve?  Is there any other high fluoride toothpaste I can buy which could replace the Duraphat but which isn’t quite so vicious? Or will it be a case of settling things down and returning to the Duraphat until the next flare up?  Any advice gratefully received.

Liz

• Is this normal?  Does it take an age to resolve?

Hi Liz 

yes it was the same for me. It’s the SLS that is causing the problem. I couldn’t use Duraphat for a year so I had Oranurse instead which has no SLS or any flavouring added. 
    To protect my teeth I had a Fluoride varnish every three months. It worked perfectly and my teeth survived 

Its a pity they don’t make SLS free high fluoride toothpaste 

Dani 

Base of tongue cancer. T2N0M0 6 weeks Radiotherapy finished January 2019

I wrote a blog about my cancer. just click on the link below 

https://todaymycoffeetasteslikechristmasincostarica.com 

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm

Community Champion badge
  • Hi Liz

I can use the Duraphat and have done so for a number of years.  Since I finished treatment I do find the ability to use it does come and go in terms of comfort.  Some days/weeks are good then I have a few days where it hurts like hell, only to settle down and be OK.  That tends to coincide when my taste for food etc changes.  I guess all to do with healing.

Peter
    See my profile for more details of my convoluted journey
  • Thank you. Relief that this is ‘normal’!

• A month ago I was given gum trays for use with Duraphat...mouth does get a wee bit nippy after use (15 min daily) but soon settles down.

Peter

• Hi was wondering about the duraphat toothpaste. At the beginning of RT I was told not to use it by RT team as it can make mouth worse . So I started again after RT. When I was first diagnosed by the max fax team the dentist told me to use it twice daily am  and pm and lunch and tea to use the mouthwash. I clean my teeth after lunch with a toothpaste I got from a cancer site which has lesser flouride but I thought that was ok as directed by hospital dentists. There has never been a mention of using trays. Should I ask them about it. Thank you 

• Thank you. I was only told to use the trays for 5 minutes daily. Heaven knows what my mouth would be like with 15!

• There has never been a mention of using trays.

Me neither. I think it depends on the trust. Many patients in the USA use them. A fluoride varnish once every three months is just as effective , less intrusive and time consuming to my mind 

Ive had to work out my own routine, having not really been given one. 
    On the premise that there is a plaque build up overnight I brush before breakfast with Oranurse and thirty minutes later with Duraphat. NO snacking and brush thirty minutes after lunch and dinner with Duraphat. Interdental cleaning morning and with post dinner brush. 

Dani 

Community Champion badge
  • I tell a lie. If I’m out and have say an ice cream or coffee and cake I clean between my teeth., rinse my mouth with water then BioXtra mouthwash then chew gum! 
    Madness. The world seemed to revolve round oral hygiene when I first started but now it’s routine and I don’t notice. 

Dani 

Community Champion badge
  • I agree.  I’d much rather do the varnish. The trays are a monumental faff…hey ho.