Life after treatment not always plain sailing

• 6 replies
  • 40 subscribers

My husband was treated for stage 3 HPV tonsil cancer with surgery, chemo and radiotherapy. He finished treatment just over 12 months ago and is clear so far, thank goodness. We know how lucky he is ( so far) but we realise even more now how unfair cancer is with how it impacts on your life. I know we are luckier than some people, but he has returned to work ( after 1 false start) because we need his salary. He is finding it hard, as he has a responsible job, and although physically he is doing well, the treatment has really affected his concentration and memory. He was denied ill health early retirement as he is deemed not ill enough. He will have to work until 67 to get his work pension or get heavily penalised. He's 58 now, so that's just not going to be possible. If he were to die in service though he would get twice annual salary, so better off financially to die than to struggle at work and try to retire early. It all seems so unfair. Cancer treatment is long and hard, often paid sick leave is not long enough for serious illness and slow recovery. Not moaning just verbalising frustrations! 

• Hi.  I agree, cancer can be terribly unfair especially the consequences.  I certainly feel for your husband as I don't know how I could effectively go back into the role that I retired from just before my diagnosis.  It is the brain fog (or whatever you want to call it) that so few people who don't have it fail to understand the significance of. 

Clearly your husband has explored options with his work and I don't really have any suggestions if they cannot help him.  9 years of pension is a lot to lose and depending on the terms of the pension taking on a less stressful role in the company may further disadvantage him due to reduced salary.  He is legally regarded as disabled ever since his diagnosis so that may offer some protection and a solution.

Maybe it is time to seek advice from Macmillan?

Peter
    See my profile for more details of my convoluted journey
  • Hi

Please feel free to rant on here we never judge  I was thankful I had retired early when I was diagnosed at 61 and now at 66 last year for my state  pension to come Into play. I’m lucky don’t have any cognitive issues but must be hard on your husband  Here’s a link in research at my cancer centre Leeds on cognitive issues after radiotherapy  it’s not a huge survey but might help knowing you aren’t alone  it’s relatively early days and I was still getting improvements up to the 5 year point . this is the article.   

https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S2405632424000088

As Peter says maybe a call to Macmillan they have a financial  department there has been some people who have been awarded a pip with our type of cancer.I don’t know the criteria but worth trying. 

hugs Hazel 

Hazel aka RadioactiveRaz 

My blog is www.radioactiveraz.wordpress.com  HPV 16+ tonsil cancer Now  6 years  post treatment. 35 radiotherapy 2 chemo T2N2NM.Happily getting on with living always happy to help

• Hi it’s perfectly fine to rant. I was so pleased I had retired early prior to my diagnosis at 61. Although had to wait for state pension until 66 but I made it. It’s still early days in many ways for your hubby. I’ve still been getting improvements right up to  year 5. Even now I’m still finding foods I thought I would never eat now being tolerable. Sadly not spicy ones though. There is a study that’s been published on cognitive issues with head and neck patients. 

Hazel 

Hazel aka RadioactiveRaz 

My blog is www.radioactiveraz.wordpress.com  HPV 16+ tonsil cancer Now  6 years  post treatment. 35 radiotherapy 2 chemo T2N2NM.Happily getting on with living always happy to help

• He is finding it hard, as he has a responsible job, and although physically he is doing well, the treatment has really affected his concentration and memory.

Hi. So sorry to hear how your husband is struggling over the understanding of his employers. Peter is right about his disability being a legal definition. Please phone the Macmillan support line at the bottom of my post. They can guide you along the best route to take. 
    You are right, sadly, about the damage done by RT. Unfortunately cognitive issues are real as a result of parts of the brain being targeted unintentionally. My memory and attention was atrocious for a while. My oncologist told me it might or might not improve. It did to a certain extent. 
    Do seek professional help with the work situation. There must be some sort of compromise. 

Dani 

Base of tongue cancer. T2N0M0 6 weeks Radiotherapy finished January 2019

I wrote a blog about my cancer. just click on the link below 

https://todaymycoffeetasteslikechristmasincostarica.com 

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm

Community Champion badge
  • Hi Birdwoman 

I am recovering from T2N1M0 Tonsil cancer HPV16+ chemoradio finished June 2023, still have some iffy days, luckily retired....

2017 I was diagnosed with colorectal cancer ...while still in ICU I received a message asking me to report to work for counselling, I declined, employers later apologised.

Some just don't understand the situation we find ourselves in, tough enough without the added financial complications.

Peter 

• Hi Birdwoman I can sympathise with your husband as I am self employed and have been ill since 2020 , I recently finished a 18 week  course of chemo and 5fu. All I can say is it does get better over time and to look after himself , Plenty of rest , good food and exercise All the best minmax