Eating/drinking

• 19 replies
  • 40 subscribers

Not able to eat .Not drinking enough.When I put stuff through my rig it sits there in my stomach and I begin to feel sick.Sometimes I am.Eitner way it makes me feel absolutely miserable.I have 5more radiation days.Can I get anti sickness tablets.

• Hi Frank

I was on chemoradio for 6 weeks 

I didn't have a RIG but I did have a PEG feeding tube, Ensure 2cal didn't agree with me, kept on being sick, ended up in hospital for 12 days to stabilise my weight, changed over to Jevity feed which worked better.

Contact your oncology team or CNS about anti sickness medication ASAP, I'm sure they will sort it out.

Keep the forum updated on your progress 

Peter 

• Peter , Hopefully it thank you for your advice.I shall be seeing the dietician tomorrow Hopefully it will be sorted then.Will certainly keep the forum informed.

Good luck .Frank29

• Hi yes please see your team or cns tomorrow there are various anti sickness med ed can take. Are you on painkillers if opiates are you taking movicol or laxido   as you may be constipated as well 

put water into your rig as well that’s as important as food also

bedt wishes. Hazel 

Hazel aka RadioactiveRaz 

My blog is www.radioactiveraz.wordpress.com  HPV 16+ tonsil cancer Now  6 years  post treatment. 35 radiotherapy 2 chemo T2N2NM.Happily getting on with living always happy to help

• This forum is a good place to visit, all on here have walked the treatment walk, friendly, great for support and advice, our treatment is tough and frightening this forum can help make it less stressful.

Take care and best of luck 

Peter 

• Afternoon ,forgive the tardy messages yesterday,I was a bit of a mess.I have now seen the dietician and it's beginning to look like the milky drinks are not agreeing with me.I have now started taking ensure plus juice .1/3 Ensure to 2/3 water.As I am unable to eat at the moment ,large amounts of fluid are going through my rig.Im delighted to say it seems to be working.Tonight half and half.Im grateful to be taking in nutrition again.

I have 4 radiation sessions left out of 30.I have a right sided tonsil tumor.The treatment is curative.

• As you can see I'm not good on the tablet.This is a reply ,not to me but to all you forum users.Take care now.

• Hi Frank

T2N1M0 HPV16+ Tonsil cancer ...finished ChemoRadio  ...30 radio+4 chemo....June 2023...

It is a very tough and, at times, frightening treatment....lots of hard days....but the treatment cure rate is excellent....circa 90%...

Stick in there....keep us updated...feel free to come to the forum for a chat...or wee rant...anytime...always someone about.

Peter

• Hi Frank. I was on Ensure and it made me feel awful. It messed with my system until my Peg tube was removed and I started drinking Huel Black edition shakes. That was a game changer for me. They won’t go down a tube so when you are ready to drink properly this is a good route to consider. My dietitian gave me the ok to go this route.

When I injected the Ensure, I had to inject a syringe with plain water first and at the end another syringe of water. This diluted it somewhat and I never felt nauseous. What made me ill was the smell and taste. 

the anti sickness tablets will help a lot too. I was given some from the get go but thankfully never  needed them.  Laxido or Ducolax became my friends till I stopped the Ensure 

take care , every week gets better 

• Great news all,my problem has been resolved.Constipation seems to have been the culprit.Laxido is my friend.Now I have started the pump feeds without vomiting them up .What ever I put through my rig is sitting comfortably in my stomach until I no longer feel it.Everything going through it's normal process.I still water down the ensures as they are too rich for my taste ,but they are not a problem.Ive also started to take in minute amounts of food.Cornflakes made soggy with hot milk,just a couple of desert spoons.Also melon.I chew as much as I can,suck the juice out and spit.Not a delicate process to be sure but I can taste it.Ive gone off creamy things so much ,even yogurts and ice-cream.Sorbet is next on my list.I have 2 more treatments to go .My mouth is a slime filled mess and I have thrush too but  in a few weeks ,l will I hope get good news.Im feeling optimistic.I have further to go I know (metastatic spot in my lung ,a spot on my kidney and just for a bit of fun a meningioma on my brain) but that's life made more bearable by sharing with you guys.Thanks again .

• Such good news Frank re the food. You know I was constipated as well and it made me feel yuck. I couldn’t connect the two. For me Laxido took a few days to kick in but if you keep using it you’ll feel so much better 

I must try corn flakes with hot milk and sugar or honey. 

So glad you’re feeling  more optimistic. Keep going.