Possible tooth extraction

• 18 replies
  • 35 subscribers

Hi everyone.

Something I have always dreaded has happened.  I have an infection under the back tooth in my lower jaw!!!!   This back tooth has been a problem since day 1.   I have a ‘pocket ‘ behind it and have had several gum infections around it.  The area around it is very radiotherapy damaged. I go to hygienist every 2 months and am absolutely fastidious about hygiene. 
I am on antibiotics and have spoken to my consultant at The Marsden and due to see the oncology dentist next Wednesday.  My own dentist practice has suggested root canal and crown reduction but my consultant said maybe it should come out.  I have worried about this tooth constantly snd now it seems to be a bad story unfolding. My consultant has said  he thinks everything will be fine if they take it out!!!!!!!! But there is a risk of which I sm only too aware.  
Beesuit, I know you had a tooth out after treatment but I was wondering if anyone else on here has any thoughts. The infection is in the ligaments not the jaw (yet)  

all best wishes to everyone 

v anxious Lizzie xx

•   I have always thought that antibiotics didn’t really work after rt. - thus leading to ORN.

ORN is a type of fibrosis. Nothing to do directly with infection but the ability to heal adequately because the blood vessels supplying the bone are compromised. If your hospital dentist is happy to do a root canal why reduce the crown? Get him to put a new tooth on for you? By the way Lizzie. Is the tooth in the mandible or maxilla? The maxilla is at less of a risk and even then it’s only around 5%. 

Dani 

Base of tongue cancer. T2N0M0 6 weeks Radiotherapy finished January 2019

I wrote a blog about my cancer. just click on the link below 

https://todaymycoffeetasteslikechristmasincostarica.com 

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm

Community Champion badge
  • Hi Dani.   The tooth in lower jaw unfortunately, right at the back.  I have got a treatment plan from my dentist but I have got to be seen by oncology dentist next week to get her opinion.  If she says I can have root canal, I will.  I didn’t really know that ORN is fibrosis, but I understand that the blood supply is compromised thus leading to complications.  I sm glad I put this post up, I have definitely learnt a few things!   Thankyou.  Lizzie x

• Hi Peter.  Thankyou for your reply.  It is an angle I haven’t thought off.  I am going to get 2 professional opinions before going forward.  Best wishes.  Lizzie 

• Hi Lizzie, I'm not sure precisely where the infections were but probably similar to yours.The tooth is in my lower jaw also by the way. 

Extraction is a bit radical if there are other options available, isnt it. The site would still have to heal/risk getting infected, whereas if a root canal filling is possible for you, thats much less likely I would think.

• Good luck. We have enough to worry about without these complications 

Let us know how you get on. Xx

Dani 

Community Champion badge
  • Hi Peter.  Thankyou for your reply.  It is an angle I haven’t thought off.  I am going to get 2 professional opinions before going forward.  Best wishes.  L

Make sure those opinions are from dentists who deal with RT

Dani 

Community Champion badge
  • Yes!   Good point x

• I had 5 removed a week before treatment to allow RT treatment access!   I am a COWARD and they did mine under GA!!!!!!!!