Possible tooth extraction

• 18 replies
  • 34 subscribers

Hi everyone.

Something I have always dreaded has happened.  I have an infection under the back tooth in my lower jaw!!!!   This back tooth has been a problem since day 1.   I have a ‘pocket ‘ behind it and have had several gum infections around it.  The area around it is very radiotherapy damaged. I go to hygienist every 2 months and am absolutely fastidious about hygiene. 
I am on antibiotics and have spoken to my consultant at The Marsden and due to see the oncology dentist next Wednesday.  My own dentist practice has suggested root canal and crown reduction but my consultant said maybe it should come out.  I have worried about this tooth constantly snd now it seems to be a bad story unfolding. My consultant has said  he thinks everything will be fine if they take it out!!!!!!!! But there is a risk of which I sm only too aware.  
Beesuit, I know you had a tooth out after treatment but I was wondering if anyone else on here has any thoughts. The infection is in the ligaments not the jaw (yet)  

all best wishes to everyone 

v anxious Lizzie xx

• I can't help with your direct situation as I've not had RT.  However, when I had similar the hospital just wanted the easy option of taking it out.  I got the root canal etc done elsewhere and hopefully that will survive this weeks dental scan ready for RT.

It may be worth a second opinion as the loss of a tooth can cause all sorts of other problems with the opposing ones dropping down/growing up into the space and the need for dentures.

Peter
    See my profile for more details of my convoluted journey
  • Beesuit, I know you had a tooth out after treatment but I was wondering if anyone else on here has any thoughts. The infection is in the ligaments not the jaw (yet)  

I did and everything was fine, though it did take a little longer than normal to heal. I was warned about this and told not to worry. The tooth was right in the line of fire. I had ten days of antibiotics. 
    I would go with your consultants opinion. He may even add pentoxifylline to the antibiotics which should keep you even safer. 
    It’s what I would do. 

Dani 

Base of tongue cancer. T2N0M0 6 weeks Radiotherapy finished January 2019

I wrote a blog about my cancer. just click on the link below 

https://todaymycoffeetasteslikechristmasincostarica.com 

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm

Community Champion badge
  • Hi Dani.   They haven’t mentioned the pentox yet but I know about it and I am going to mention it to them.  I am glad to hear your story.  It’s such a worry. Xx

• Lizzie

It’s such a worry.

I would add that it was a wisdom tooth. There was no fannying about wiggling the tooth about in the socket. They used a pretty sharp elevator ( and plenty of anaesthesia which was actually the worst bit) and the tooth came straight out before I even realised it.

Dani 

Base of tongue cancer. T2N0M0 6 weeks Radiotherapy finished January 2019

I wrote a blog about my cancer. just click on the link below 

https://todaymycoffeetasteslikechristmasincostarica.com 

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm

Community Champion badge
  • Hi Lizzie

I was awaiting a root canal treatment before I was diagnosed/had chemo and radiotherapy. The dental consultant said to hold off and get the tooth done after. I had several abscesses under the tooth after and then finally had  the root canal treatment a year after finishing radiotherapy. Its been fine since. I also dread having to have an extraction ( had 5 pre radio, don't want any more) with the worry about ORN . Don't know if any of that helps. x

• Hi merry go round.  That is very interesting and helpful.  Thankyou.  So, you had the abscesses after RT ?   What antibiotics did you have and for how long? I hope you don’t mind me asking. And good to hear the root canal worked. 
    lizzie x

• Hi Lizzie. Yes I had the abscesses post RT, I think 3 in total. I just had amoxycillin 500mg for 5 days each time plus on the final occasion I had a hole drilled in the tooth and antibiotic put directly into it (it hurt!!). But as I say, no trouble since I had the root canal filled. And I'm so glad I was able to keep the tooth x

• I too had a root canal carried out, 3 weeks post RT. I had no probs identified at the pre-treatment dental assessment, but this back molar had been overfilled when l was younger. I was given amoxycillin for 7 days to clear the infection & then sent by my dentist to an endodontist for the root canal. Thereafter, a crown was fitted. No further probs so far. At the time, it was a big worry, but seems to have worked out ok. 

• Thankyou Merrygoround.   My infection in just under one root tip.  Does that sound like yours?   I have always thought that antibiotics didn’t really work after rt. - thus leading to ORN.  I has been so helpful to me to hear you had 3 abscesses and u were ok!!!!    It has given me hope I might be ok.  I just really thought that ORN would be a definite.  
    lizzie x

• Hi Woody. Thankyou for sharing your story.  I am getting a lot of hope from hearing from other people’s accounts.  I am glad you and merrygoround have had no more problems.  Best wishes Lizzie x