Next steps

• 7 replies
  • 29 subscribers

Hi, 8 sessions of radiotherapy, 2 chemo. 
feel tired and low sometimes, I started PEG as I can eat, food makes me feel sick….

but I try to stay positive Slight smile,so thanks to God , science and family and friends x

painful and sore throat- any advice please 

thinking about my mum , she is 88 . I did not see her long time. She lives in Poland and I wonder how quick I can fly out after treatment???

• Hi Barbara. Well done on getting this far

With your sore throat, try to stay ahead of the pain which means taking your pain killers by the clock. If they aren't helping enough please ask your team for something stronger. By the time my throat was in trouble I was on morphine and paracetamol alternating every two hours and later on I had extended release morphine twice a day on top of that.

I'm sure you've been given lots of mouthwashes. Use them. I had Difflam to use 15 minutes or so before  trying to swallow and Caphosol and Gelclair for mouth ulcers.

I was advised to try to get out, even if only for a trip round the garden, to keep energy levels up. I managed a walk with the dog every day though some days it was a real drag round.

Hazel here managed to get out to their place in Spain 8 weeks after treatment end. I couldn't have done that but maybe that's something to aim for.

Where in Poland does your mum live? Both my parent were refugees from World War 11. My mum came from Wroclaw and my Dad from somewhere which is now in Ukraine.

My daughter lives in Berlin and her partner is an Israeli with Polish residency so they commute from Berlin to Warsaw.

Dani 

Base of tongue cancer. T2N0M0 6 weeks Radiotherapy finished January 2019

I wrote a blog about my cancer. just click on the link below 

https://todaymycoffeetasteslikechristmasincostarica.com 

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm

Community Champion badge
  • Hi Dani Slight smile thank you as always, I have all the mouthwash’s, trying to use this, I will star gelclair maybe today. I took morphine early morning- slept well Slight smile

I came from Poznan, city not far from West …I hope I will able to go in October…

Plani f back to work in September.

29 July is my last radiotherapy. Can’t wait …

Blush

• Hi Barbara. Yes Dani is  right week 8;I flew out to Spain for 3 weeks. I was only allowed to go by my oncologist has  we were going to our own thing as he said 3 weeks in a hotel  would  have been too much. I was still using some ensures so I got a powdered version for those days when I was struggling to eat. I advised the airline of any medication i took. The hardest part was the bit where you can’t have water with you when you go through security ,the first thing I did was find somewhere to buy water when we got through. I did pay for fast track security and also for the lounge at the airport it made me feel more secure as i was  conscious not everyine wanted to see me coughing and this was pre covid. Once I got on the plane I curled uo and slept, For me it was the best thing I could’ve have done it forced me to get out after 10 days there I was back in my bike and never really looked back. 
    What you will be feeling is radiation fatigue son listen to your body. I had no special mouthwashes during treatment was told to gargle with salt water and baking powder.Plus rinse with soluble aspirin so rinse and spit. I also had gelclair for ulcers. 
    As for work all you can do is assess nearer the time everyine is different a lot depends on what you are doing ?

Keep in touch 

Hazel x

Hazel aka RadioactiveRaz 

My blog is www.radioactiveraz.wordpress.com  HPV 16+ tonsil cancer Now 5 years  post treatment. 35 radiotherapy 2 chemo T2N2NM.Happily getting on with living always happy to help  

• Be careful on your return to work. That seems pretty early.  You definitely need a phased return xx

Dani 

Base of tongue cancer. T2N0M0 6 weeks Radiotherapy finished January 2019

I wrote a blog about my cancer. just click on the link below 

https://todaymycoffeetasteslikechristmasincostarica.com 

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm

Community Champion badge
  • Thank you Blush
    I want to go just for week, winter break in Cape Verde, I know -now sun Sunny️ but I love this place. Not much to do just relax ..,

x

• Hu Barbara i go away to Spain 8 weeks at a time spring and  autumn as king as you use high factor sun cream and be aware of the sun. Our motto is one life live it.

Be careful about returning ti work4 weeks is early ask about a phased return 

Hazel x

Hazel aka RadioactiveRaz 

My blog is www.radioactiveraz.wordpress.com  HPV 16+ tonsil cancer Now 5 years  post treatment. 35 radiotherapy 2 chemo T2N2NM.Happily getting on with living always happy to help