FOOD !

• 19 replies
  • 27 subscribers

I am so fed up with using my rig to eat ( 2 weeks post treatment ) I really want to start eating “ normally “ now , im not that sore any more , just sometimes dry & the next minute not .Did anyone actually start eating normally to a certain extent at this stage ? Not blended soup , rice pudding etc . But normal food xx

• In a word Not really at 2 weeks by week 3 I had my ng tube out but 80%of my calories came from ensure. I started off on crumpets or white slicked bread  toasted. Inside of a mini pork pie warmed. Was one of my treats .Poached eggs It’s really a slow babybsteps procedure lThe soreness isn’t anythjng to do with ut it’s the ability to 

swallow comfortably  without aspiration as that’s very dangerous. By week 6 I could eat a bit more. By Christmas Day 4 month after u coukd do a Christmas dinner , I do recall 6 smaller meals a day was my way for a good while. Look in blog ut will give yiu ideas. I did fish but nit Chios around week 6 but I wouldn’t say ut was a full meal. Of course we are all different . 
    i could dip a Jaffa cake in a coffe around week 3 but still got majority of calories via ensures orally. 
    Didn’t anyone explain to you the difficulties that you could face  our treatments pretty brutal hence why many are given pegs  to get them through recovery ? 
    remember  it’s not forever , yiu May have to adjust your expectations , of course there’s nothing stopping you trying to eat anythjng you want just be careful of choking ,
    apart from that how are you in general fatigue 

Hazel x

Hazel aka RadioactiveRaz 

My blog is www.radioactiveraz.wordpress.com  HPV 16+ tonsil cancer Now 5 years  post treatment. 35 radiotherapy 2 chemo T2N2NM.Happily getting on with living always happy to help  

• No I couldn’t at all but if you have no pain any more just eat. It doesn’t matter what anybody else did. If your mouth and throat are comfortable try proper food. Just start with something soft. 

Dani 

Base of tongue cancer. T2N0M0 6 weeks Radiotherapy finished January 2019

I wrote a blog about my cancer. just click on the link below 

https://todaymycoffeetasteslikechristmasincostarica.com 

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm

Community Champion badge
  • I feel like I am getting better every day Hazel , I do know my limits now but I am doing a little bit more day by day , not needing as many naps maybe just 40 winks now & again , I’d love a piece of fish no skin , I’m a bit scared to try toast to be honest xx

1. Aly14
  • sorry Dani I flagged up your post some how See no evilSee no evil there is a little pain but not half as bad as the pain before I was diagnosed & I ate then between pain killers xx

1. Aly14
  • Lots if lurpack cheap bread not artisan and a warm drink to wash it down. Toast for me was easier than bread for a long time. Call you can do is try 

Hazel x

Hazel aka RadioactiveRaz 

My blog is www.radioactiveraz.wordpress.com  HPV 16+ tonsil cancer Now 5 years  post treatment. 35 radiotherapy 2 chemo T2N2NM.Happily getting on with living always happy to help  

• It’s ok. It will be back. Fish might be a stretch too far. If you try it have lots of warm tea to wash it down. 

Dani 

Community Champion badge
  • Yes I’ve just started to drink tea again , makes a change from coffee ! Xx

1. Aly14
  • I could murder a piece of toast Joy xx

1. Aly14
  • Try it. Cut crusts off and butter very thickly. 
    I expect a progress report in half an hour. 

Dani 

Community Champion badge
  • Yes no crusts they do take time lots of butter goid luck mh

Hazel aka RadioactiveRaz