Metastatic HPV16 Tonsil cancer

• 8 replies
  • 31 subscribers

Hi,

It's been a while since I contributed anything here, but thought I could give an update. Early in 2020, I was diagnosed with HPV16+ tonsil cancer (T3, N1). I went through chemoradiation treatment that started on the first day of Lockdown #1, so that was interesting. And for a year after, ENT examinations were encouraging.

Unfortunately an MRI scan in August this year suggested an irregularity in my chest area, which was confirmed by CT and PET scans; 1 tumour in my top right lung, with many other smaller cancer spots across both lungs. At first oncologists thought I had developed a new primary lung cancer, but biopsy almost 4 months after first scan confirmed that my previous tonsil cancer had spread and taken on Stage 4 status. 

A couple of weeks ago I started immunotherapy treatment with pembrolizumab. Fingers crossed this will keep the spread of cancer in check. 

If anyone's interested in learning more, about the agony of uncertainty while waiting for this new diagnosis, and how pembro will hopefully keep my cancer in check, my blog is still going: 

https://www.ansonmackay.com/blog 

Cheers,

Ans