Pains coming back

• 5 replies
  • 29 subscribers

The fentanyl patches are no longer strong enough to knock out the pain, im not sure if there's anything more they can give him painkiller wise.

He can no longer eat and is struggling to swallow even his fresubin shakes, since my last post I have seeked out help and im on antidepressants, so emotionally im coping much better than I would be with situation normally.

Hes planning to go on chemo to slow it down, one session every six weeks. Im not sure how to feel, obviously I want more time with him but im not confident that hes strong enough to survive more treatment.

Hes scared, very scared of dying, he wouldn't have taken up the chemo if he wasnt. I just want him to be pain-free at the very least, is there anythung at all I can do? 

• Hi Acornette. So sorry to hear your dad is suffering so badly. I can't give medical advice here but it is possible to titrate proper analgesia using a number of other drugs in conjunction. Hospice teams are pretty good at this but in the first instance please do go and tell his team. Maybe they can admit him to hospital while they tailor his doses. There are other drugs that can be used. Best of luck, your post is heartbreaking

Dani 

Base of tongue cancer. T2N0M0 6 weeks Radiotherapy finished January 2019

I wrote a blog about my cancer. just click on the link below 

https://todaymycoffeetasteslikechristmasincostarica.com 

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm

Community Champion badge
  • Thankyou, I was hoping it wouldn't have to get the point to be moved out of home. I reckon he'll deal with the pain as long as he can at home before being admitted into hospital. Ill enquire about if theres any alternatives to help deal with pain at home and not having to move him.

Thankyou for responding Bee, and thankyou for all the help and advice youve given me. Hopefully my next update will be a little e better news if I can get this sorted x

• A move shouldn't be permanent. Just that these regimes have to be monitored and it might take a few days to get right. Then he could go home. Don't give up. People with pain of terminal cancer shouldn't be ignored. There are ways of keeping him more comfortable without simply sending him to sleep...you just have to push for them

Dani 

Base of tongue cancer. T2N0M0 6 weeks Radiotherapy finished January 2019

I wrote a blog about my cancer. just click on the link below 

https://todaymycoffeetasteslikechristmasincostarica.com 

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm

Community Champion badge
  • Ah that was phrased wrong by me, I meant he really doesn't want to go into hospital, hes scared of not coming out, and because that it'll be hard to convince him to go and get pain medication until he absolutely cannot stand it anymore.

But he is going in for chemotherapy next week and hopefully they can convince him to stay in once hes there so they can manage his pain. 

• Hi Acornette. So sorry to read your sad post about your dear dad. Like Dani says contact his team as soon as you can no one  should be in unbearable pain at any time in a cancer diagnosis. hugs to you and your family sorry I can’t offer more.

Hazel xx

Hazel aka RadioactiveRaz 

My blog is www.radioactiveraz.wordpress.com  HPV 16+ tonsil cancer Now 5 years  post treatment. 35 radiotherapy 2 chemo T2N2NM.Happily getting on with living always happy to help