Covid 19 vaccination

• 24 replies
  • 34 subscribers

Hi again.

Can I ask, have any of you been offered or had the covid 19 vaccination, whilst undergoing treatment or pre operation. Just wondering if this has been a recommendation from your doctors or if the advice has been not to have it? 

• Hi George. The vaccines are safe and recommended for people with cancer. Macmillan has information here  Covid and Cancer

Dani 

Base of tongue cancer. T2N0M0 6 weeks Radiotherapy finished January 2019

I wrote a blog about my cancer. just click on the link below 

https://todaymycoffeetasteslikechristmasincostarica.com 

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm

Community Champion badge
  • I think we are generally in the "normal risk" category of the population for the vaccination - so vaccination will probably be age related rather than clinical issues related.  Certainly that is what my clinical team advised me when I asked about my risk of catching Covid.  So you will probably wait until your turn on the list. 

Your clinical team will decide whether to bump you up the priority list or not.  Although I am well post treatment I'd take it when offered.  That said, my GP initially would not give me the flu jab before my treatment without the approval of the oncology team.

Peter
  • Hi Peter, i don't know if its because my diagnosis is more recent, but i was advised i was likely to get offered the vaccine early?

I was certainly chased to get the flu vaccine as a 'vulnerable person'

• If I was offered it early I'd certainly take it.  I am in for an ENT O/P next week and it would make sense to jab people as they come through the door Laughing

Peter
  • Hi Peter 

I was  at Leeds cancer centre last week for yearly review with oncologist, I thought the same but needless to say it didn’t happen. 
    Good  luck with appointment, let’s us know what they say.You will hopefully still be wait and watch. 
    Hazel 

Hazel aka RadioactiveRaz 

My blog is www.radioactiveraz.wordpress.com  HPV 16+ tonsil cancer Now 5 years  post treatment. 35 radiotherapy 2 chemo T2N2NM.Happily getting on with living always happy to help  

• I been offered the vaccination, because of my job, I have now spoken to head and neck team, they said to have it, as my op won't be within next two weeks due to covid, it takes 14 days to fully cover you, so they happy for me to have it. I also had to speak to pre op assessment team, they to had no issues. 

• I been offered the vaccination, because of my job, I have now spoken to head and neck team, they said to have it, as my op won't be within next two weeks due to covid, it takes 14 days to fully cover you, so they happy for me to have it. I also had to speak to pre op assessment team, they to had no issues. 

• I had a letter yesterday telling me i was considered 'extremely vulnerable' and would be prioritized for vaccination, so it does look like recent cancer patients might get jabbed more quickly.

• Hi George..

I saw my consultant last week , and I will begin chemo in 2 weeks time...he said I was to have the COVID vaccine as soon as possible and to ring my doctor and arrange to have it... I rang them Tuesday 19 and had the vaccine Thursday am. I am 55, so not in the existing priority group age wise, but as a cancer patient I am now classed as vulnerable.. 

I presume you have had your vaccine now, but just as information for anybody else.. take care

• Hi George I had my vaccine this week. My consultant recommended I have it.