neck dissection and pains in head

• 13 replies
  • 145 subscribers

Hi I Hope everyone's getting on as best as possible. Has anyone had a neck dissection and get pains like on the outside of their head etc or headaches. Just want the heads up  All the Best Minmax 

• Hi Minmax, yes, I had a neck dissection nearly three weeks ago and I have been getting dreadful headaches and earache, but I wasn't sure if it was due to the surgery or stress?  I do know that they said that earache was a possibility after, but I haven't seen or heard any mention of headache?

Hugs

Hazel x

• Hi Hazel Sorry to hear this but I never really got seriously bad pain , Well it does feel like getting stabbed in the ear or head  sometimes but is only temporary thank God , I had headaches the other week but paracetamol did the trick but I did contact my cancer nurse as the pain was getting really intense , You know where you wouldn't be far off screaming. I now have shifting pain on the neck  dissection side only and sometimes it's very sensitive to touch. I had my dissection over two years ago and I did have odd pains and was told so long as they are not permanent and having them for a week or two , they were not concerned. All the Best Minmax 

• How awful for you Minmax, It's good though that your team don't seem concerned about it, but of course that is no real consolation when you get pain like that.  I hope that it clears for you soon.

Take care.

Hugs

Hazel x

• Hi Hazel Its no big deal just uncomfortable . I think it's more an issue if the pain is permanent and last for a week or two was what I was trying to say on my first post . I hope it's  just  nerve pain. I dont know as it is fairly major surgery sticking part of my leg in my neck lol All the Best Minmax 

• Hi Minmax

I have had 2 neck dissections over time to either side of my neck. I did not have the pain you mention although my neck was sensitive for a time. I also have altered sensation to my neck where the scars are and they can be sensitive still. I pad my seatbelt with sheepskin where it touches my neck as it can be rather uncomfortable. I had my neck dissections in 2013 and 2018. I did not get headaches.

Lyn

Sophie66

• Hi Sophie66 That is interesting but we are all different . I get like a cramp sensation and have to move my neck pretty sharpish to alleviate the pain , I cannot feel parts of my neck also. Well I suppose my scan in a few weeks might show up something hopefully not lol . All the Best Minmax Good Luck tomorrow Hazel X

• I understand Minmax.  Let's hope it doesn't go on too long for you.

Sending hugs

Hazel x

• Good Luck tomorrow Hazel X

Thanks Minmax.  Speak tomorrow. Hugs, Hazel x

• Hi, 

im only 3 weeks post selective neck dissection on the right side. Due to the cut nerves my right side of the neck and the bottom right side of my face is numb. Oh and my right ear too. I do get the occasional stabbing pain around all the numb areas which I’m informed is the nerves very slowly healing. 

I also have some considerable pain in the right shoulder too. Again I’ve been told it’s all relative and will pass with time. With the shoulder I’ve been told I can expect discomfort for around 18 months to 2 years. 

I’ll post of any other things develop or earache etc 

• HI Minmax

I too get a cramp on the side of my neck where the dissections were.  If I catch it in a mirror you can see the muscke/tendon (or whatever it is) really stand out.  It goes after a few seconds and is relatively infrequent.

After recovery from the surgery I can't say I've had any lasting headaches relating to the dissections.  Like Lyn I have altered sensations in my neck, many of which are more amusing that disturbing.  I no longer wear ties or a buttoned up collar as I find that too restricting on the (not overly) sensitive scar.

Peter
    See my profile for more details of my convoluted journey